US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:24 pm 

Hi, I am a new member. Please forgive me in advance if I'm using the the general discussion thread in a wrong way.
I am in the market for a tubed preamp. I would like some opinions from the membership.
My previous preamp was a VTL 5.5 which is now doing duty in my secondary system of Threshold Stasis 3 Amplifier, Sony SACD-1, and Joseph Audio RM7si signature monitors.
My main system (the one I need to replace the preamp) is Coincident Speaker Technology Total Eclipse, BAT VK-60 and Mod Wright SCD-XA5400ES.
I am looking at either a Cary SLP-05 or Cary SLP-98P, both of which I see for sale used on line. They both use 6SN7 tubes and have an external power supply which I like.
I understand the SLP-05 is almost twice as expensive as the SLP-98P (more or less) but it offers balanced outputs. Is the price difference worth it? Which would be the better choice for the BAT VK-60?
Thank you,
Wing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:29 pm 

A 6SN7 based pre amp is the preferred alternative to a 6922 pre amp.The SLP-05 is a more evolved design than the 98P and presents an extra level of detail,a deeper richer musical experience and is more 3 dimensional.You won't be disappointed,simply a matter of finding a unit that is favorably priced.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:30 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

The SLP05 is miles ahead of the 98. You could buy a 98 and use it in your second system, and put the VTL back in your main system.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:39 am 

I found my SLP-05 used for ~4k with new tubes, and while I am sure the 98 is a fine preamp, I can say without hesitation that the resolution and detail of the 05 is absolutely stellar. The true balanced I/O's are what attracted the pre to me in the first place, but after hearing it I literally had a jaw-drop moment... Downsides? Keeping power and signal cables apart is a trick due to the inputs being on separate sides of the unit, there is no stereo / mono (helpful for speaker setup or for true monaural output) and the LED's are VERY bright if you are listening to music in a darker room (remedied with these plastic filters: http://www.lightdims.com/store.htm ). But having a fully-differential balanced system from source to amplifier is definitely something to experience with the lower noise floor at higher gain. You will not be disappointed!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:10 pm 

Markwatkiss wrote:
A 6SN7 based pre amp is the preferred alternative to a 6922 pre amp.The SLP-05 is a more evolved design than the 98P and presents an extra level of detail,a deeper richer musical experience and is more 3 dimensional.You won't be disappointed,simply a matter of finding a unit that is favorably priced.

When you say "A 6SN7-based preamp is the preferred alternative..." what exactly do you mean? Are you saying you prefer it? Or is there a technical reason to suggest it's the preferred alternative?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:27 am 

don't buy the slp98-p i had it for two years and it underperformed my BAT 3-i preamp by miles.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:39 pm 

In answer to your question the 6SN7 is the preferred alternative simply because it can handle more current and it has less gain than a 6922 which translates into reduced micro phonics.In my experience from direct comparisons in my system it's simply more condusive to providing a deeper richer musical experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:43 pm 

Markwatkiss wrote:
In answer to your question the 6SN7 is the preferred alternative simply because it can handle more current and it has less gain than a 6922 which translates into reduced micro phonics.In my experience from direct comparisons in my system it's simply more condusive to providing a deeper richer musical experience.

Interesting, Mark. The Audible Illusions preamp has the 6922 tubes and some say it leans toward a more solid state side sound versus other tube preamps.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:15 am 

Audible Illusions leans more towards a linear sound and does not have the tube loom of a CJ or Cary.I can't comment on the current production 3B but the earlier versions were very hard on tubes.Recommended tube of choice I believe was the Russian 6h23-EB.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:41 pm 

curious of opinons of SLP-03 vs SLP 05?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:20 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Quote:
curious of opinons of SLP-03 vs SLP 05?

The 03 is not even in the same class as the 05. It was Cary's budget preamp. A hybrid design using cheap parts. While it sounded pretty good, it wasn't hugely popular and has since been discontinued in favor of the SLP-100

Last edited by dtsaudio on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:19 am 

what would you pair a SLP 05 with then for an amp?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:19 pm 

Solid Sate or Tube?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:31 am 

Markwatkiss wrote:
Solid Sate or Tube?

Let's say you had a Krell amp, FPB model - good synergy between the two?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:38 am 

I've had no experience with Krell amps so I can't comment.Suggest you contact their tech support advisors.