US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:31 pm 

I had an NAD M5 CD/SACD player I purchased approx. 6 yrs ago - - lost my entire system in a house fire couple months ago (GRRRR !!!!). While looking to replace what I lost, question is: why is there such a dearth of CD/SACD player/transports (other than McIntosh MCT-450) with an XLR/balanced digital output option? Has the technology advanced to a better option (for stereo listening) than having a balanced throughout system (which I had before the fire) from start to finish? :?: :?: :?: or is balanced digital out just an overkill ??

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:15 pm 

My Copland CDA823 CD player and Oppo BDP-105 have balanced analog out and PS Audio Perfect Wave transport has balanced digital out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:43 pm 

Just looked at the listing here for Primare CD32 and it also has digital XLR outs...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:13 am 

I just purchased a used DCS Puccini SACD/CD player, somewhat expensive (~$8K US) - it has balanced outputs. Also in this price range or slightly more expensive are Esoteric players, like the K-01X (or less expensive K-03X or K-05X).

I believe that some of the Marantz SACD/CD players have balanced outputs as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:40 am 

Recently installed a Cary 306 CD/SACD pro version—has both balanced and single ended outs. Very happy with it, but have heard reports of noisy transports. I don’t believe they’re available new anymore, but used prices seem good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:28 pm 

NINailhead wrote:
Has the technology advanced to a better option (for stereo listening) than having a balanced throughout system (which I had before the fire) from start to finish? :?: :?: :?: or is balanced digital out just an overkill ??

Balanced digital out is likely overkill for the short distance used in a normal HiFi rack. Though I don't know how much common mode noise is needed to affect a 0.5V P-P digital signal on an unbalanced S/PDIF.

I use balanced analog connections from DAC/preamp to amp, but I still rely on unbalanced coaxial S/PDIF when using a CD player as a transport. Good coaxial cables with RCA connectors that get to as close to 75 ohm as possible (e.g. Belden cable with Canare connectors) should do well, unless you are going >20 feet with the signal.