US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:48 pm 

even though nelson clearly states there is no such thing as best..... i must hear from others as to there favorite..i recently became obsessed with the different "flavors"..... after having f7,j2 and finally the sit-2..i thought the sit-2 could not be topped for me..it has been topped and quite easily for 1/3rd the price M2....... tighter bass than sit-2,same resolution as j2....warm,lush,sweet ,intoxicating..zero fatigue... M2 the winner...what is your clear cut favorite FW and why...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 pm 

You have more experience than most with this brand. Not widely known.

While I have owned quite a few different Threshold and Pass Labs amps, I've never heard a First Watt in my system. I've heard a couple of the models, but not in my rig.

I do have both of the Amp Camp amps (ACA). They're really fun on the right speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:47 am 

i guess it is a small cultish following.. stupid post actually..if i was asking about pass labs models yes....thankx,andy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:26 am 

sharethemusic wrote:
i guess it is a small cultish following.. stupid post actually..if i was asking about pass labs models yes....thankx,andy

Not stupid at all. Nelson has/had so many different models of First Watt that ALL sound different, so it's kinda confusing. If I was to actually find a speaker I like, (I'm a panel guy), that these would drive, I sure would try a few.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:56 am 

the amount of each model he makes is like 100 to 200...pales in comparison to the amount that pas labs makes..so,very few might be able to respond to this...its actually quite fun to try them..all ever so slightly different in flavor each one..ALL have been astounding..the J2 the most exciting of the 4 i tried...i have 99.9db rated speakers so a few watts is good enough for me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:59 pm 

I owned one of the First Watt M2 amps a couple years ago. It didn't do much for me, but it could've been the speakers I was using at the time, Revel M20s.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:45 pm 

might be..i have double impacts....astounding dynamics,resolution...whole ball of wax...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:42 am 

if we get into 'copies', then a diy model f5 that I own is the best ss amp I have had. It has dual transformers, with 192,000mf capacitance.
Love it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:29 pm 

just the fact that there are copies out there....shows how good the designs are...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:35 pm 

MrAudio wrote:

I do have both of the Amp Camp amps (ACA). They're really fun on the right speakers.

What gear do you run with your Amp Camp Amp? I’m in the process of a build right now. I’ll be pushing some Klipsch Heresy speakers in the living room.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:56 pm 

Barefootbrewer wrote:
MrAudio wrote:

What gear do you run with your Amp Camp Amp? I’m in the process of a build right now. I’ll be pushing some Klipsch Heresy speakers in the living room.

Pretty rare Moth Audio Cicadas. Full range, single driver, crossoverless. GREAT match for the ACA!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:52 pm 

I purchased a used M2 last year and am in love with it; glad I'm not the only one. Have you heard the Pass XA25? Seems very minimalist and inspired by the First Watt designs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:53 pm 

no..but,a dear friend just got one and i trust him explicitly...says the xa25 is rediculous ,perfect... not short in any area of audiophile sound.... i still, will take my m2 for 1200 bucks over any solid state under 4k...its uncanny how good it excells in all aspects...i usually run my tube amp for 3-4 weeks than switch to the m2 back n forth..both so amazing..i just prefer tube sound..not necessarily better at all..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:01 pm 

i might add,even though i sold it..no solid state amp ive ever heard at any price was more correct in sound than the SIT-2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:11 pm 

MrAudio wrote:

If I was to actually find a speaker I like, (I'm a panel guy), that these would drive, I sure would try a few.

The First Watt F5 is doing a superb job of driving my Martin Logan Source electrostats, fed by a Tortuga LDR passive pre. ML recommends at least 20wpc, and the F5 is capable of about 35wpc into the Source's 5 ohm load. If Martin Logan is to your liking, and you aren't intent on killing your hearing or scandalizing the neighborhood, this combo might float your boat forever.