US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HiFi Tuning fuses
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:06 am 

At the risk of this posting causing more of the endless chatter and debate about measurements, "snake oil", and the like, I am going to post this anyway just so others can read what I am experiencing if for no other reason than this may be of some value for members who are interested in HiFi Tuning fuses or similar products.
A month ago I replaced the 1A slow blow fuse (large) in my Rogue RP-5 with a HiFi Tuning fuse (silver) that I purchased from The Parts Connexion. The price was very good and if it bombed I was not out much. I installed it and pretty much forgot about it.
After a few weeks of it being installed, I was listening one night and the music sound so much more "alive". I was thinking that it must have taken the Rogue a lot of hours to break in the difference in the sound was that much different when it dawned on me that I was hearing the effects of the HiFi Tuning fuse. Briefly the difference I was hearing was one of more clarity without any etching or fatigue. To use the old worn phrase, it was as if a veil had been lifted from the music. I was so impressed I purchased three more fuses (this time from Chris at VH Audio) and installed them in my Primare CD32. Tonight the fuses must have had enough time to break in because it feels / sounds as if I have been transported to the recording studio while the music was being recorded / performed. It sounded glorious.
I know there will be those who will want to make all sorts of comments about this not being possible and all the other usual things mentioned about cable, wire, and so on. All I know is what my ears tell me, and they are telling me that this was money well spent.
If you are interested in replacing your OEM fuses in your gear with an aftermarket high end fuse, I hope this helps some.

Post subject: Re: HiFi Tuning fuses
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:03 am 

Over the years since the fuse upgrades have been available, I've spent well over $1000 for almost every fuse brand/make/type.

While they do make a "subtle" difference, (for the better) it's nowhere as profound as you encountered.

IMHO, your situation sounds more like a cleaner AC power stream, (before the fuse). I find that later at night, my system sounds better. Much less current being sucked out and a more stable line.

This occurrence has been reported many, many times.

Glad you are enjoying your system even more. That's what it's all about...

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:23 am 

I would agree with you whole heartedly if I did not usually listen to music well past midnight nightly and hence, would not be familiar with what I am used to hearing. I should have also mentioned that I have dedicated power line to the listening room (courtesy of a birthday present from my wife some years back) so for the most part my AC is pretty clean already, plus I used an old (but affective) Noisetrapper Plus for the front end. I too, was afraid I was just getting less trash through the AC line but as I said, nothing really changed in the system other than the fuses. It would quite a coup if they were responsible for the significant changes.
My speakers are Quad Z2 speakers which are relatively new but I have over 400 hours on them. Lord, they could not have required that much break-in time, could they and hence the difference?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:54 am 

zkidd wrote:
My speakers are Quad Z2 speakers which are relatively new but I have over 400 hours on them. Lord, they could not have required that much break-in time, could they and hence the difference?

I've never owned any Quad speakers nor am I familiar with the Z2 but yes some speakers do require a very lengthy break-in period to reach their full potential. My Focal Micro Utopia Be's (since departed) sounded noticeably better after 350-hours.
The Z2 is a beautiful speaker btw.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:54 pm 

zkidd wrote:
It would quite a coup if they were responsible for the significant changes.

Yes it would. I really don't think that the fuses are 100% responsible for this change. Maybe a small percentage, but certainly not all.

This is, of course, just my opinion, but I can back it up with over 40 years directly and indirectly in the high-end audio business. Kind of "seen it and heard it" all before.

Again, I do believe that fuses do work to some extent, but no where near what a lot of folks claim, (not you zkidd, but some others).

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:42 pm 

Yes, I am not so silly to believe that the fuses are doing all of what I am hearing and I should have been more cautious about the posting. My main point though, is that I do believe the fuses have added some positive things and for what I paid for them (compared to other "tweaks" over the years) the purchase seems to be worthwhile. I simply wish to advise others that might be sitting on the fence where the fuse issue is concerned, that I had a positive experience with them, and too, Chris at VH Audio was a pleasure with which to deal.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:27 pm 

zkidd wrote:
After a few weeks of it being installed, I was listening one night and the music sound so much more "alive". I was thinking that it must have taken the Rogue a lot of hours to break in the difference in the sound was that much different when it dawned on me that I was hearing the effects of the HiFi Tuning fuse. Briefly the difference I was hearing was one of more clarity without any etching or fatigue. To use the old worn phrase, it was as if a veil had been lifted from the music.

Were you playing music with you equipment all those weeks or did you just have the fuse in a turned on Rogue RP-5 a few weeks & it burned in without constant music being played?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:01 pm 

No music all the time - some times some music other times, none at all. If I were to assign percentages, I would say that the Rogue was on but without music 60% of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:42 pm 

Someone on CAM recently posted about the HIFI tuning fuse, their findings were the same as yours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:14 pm 

darcman wrote:
Someone on CAM recently posted about the HIFI tuning fuse, their findings were the same as yours

True but due to the fact that the OP is a dealer you may want to take his opinions with a grain of salt.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... =4&t=50153

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:42 pm 

hifijones wrote:
darcman wrote:

True but due to the fact that the OP is a dealer you may want to take his opinions with a grain of salt.

+1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:23 pm 

If someone is referring to me as the OP on this thread, and that I am a dealer, that is definitely not true. I am not sure if the postings are referring to the postings from the Canuck site and that person is a dealer, or me as a dealer. Just clarifying that I have no financial associations with HiFi Tuning, VH Audio etc. I just wanted to let people know that I thought the fuses were worth what I paid and that I heard a substantial improvement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:47 pm 

@zkidd

All apologies...My post alluded to the CAM forum thread in the link I provided; I was not referring to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:51 pm 

Thanks for the apologies but not needed. I just wanted to make sure that people realized that I am not a dealer, and my main purpose was to let people know that I think the fuses have merit to them...
Appreciate the concern, thank you. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:15 pm 

hifijones wrote:
darcman wrote:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... =4&t=50153

No, that wasnt the post I was talking about.
The post I read was a guy decided to try out a fuse and it made a difference.

In the same thread someone also posted a youtube link where the owner of PS Audio
said some buddy of his swapped in a fuse to one of his pieces and he couldnt believe that it made difference