US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:53 pm 

I’ve recently completed a detailed Garrard 301 restoration and installed it in a James Campbell Audio Attire plinth. I wanted to keep with a bit of a vintage theme so I bought a SME 3012 series 2 restored and rewired by SME Canada. I’ve been using a Shelter 501 series 2 to get things dialed in. Now I’m ready for a new cartridge and would really like a Kiseki Blue NS or my first choice the Purple Heart NS. The question is this: would the SME allow the Purple Heart NS to achieve most of it’s potential or am I putting a Bentley engine in a Buick? Question part 2: if not, would the Blue NS be a significant improvement over the Shelter?
Thank you friendly forum members!
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:58 pm 

here is what i can tell you...if your arm is compatible at all with the ph you get the ph! the blue is a fantastic cart..the ph is 10x better..i have had both..i only buy ph's now ..the only cartridge to use for me...as you said its " the engine" of your machine..it is to me,the most important part of any analog system..it is what extracts the information from the vinyl..the resolution,the detail,the purity of sound is unlike any cart. ive ever heard or owned....imo,the table and arm are far less important in the sound of your system than a cartridge...the phono stage is more important than the table or arm....anyhow..go for the ph..best value of a hi end cartridge on the market

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:01 am 

Thank you for the lucid explanation of your reasoning on the matter. I have to agree-I have always felt that the source is the most important part of a system but had never distilled that down to the cartridge alone in a vinyl front end. Thanks also for steering me towards the PH. The next issue is my Halo JC3 doesn’t provide the recommended 400 ohm (or higher) loading and the budget is not limitless.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:30 am 

i have a tavish design adagio phono stage set at 400ohms..thats another setting that is super over rated...very very hard to discern the differences between 100ohm,800ohm and 400ohm..
however your parasound is also over rated... check out tavish design..hand made one by one..a brilliant engineer with a 3-4 month b/o wait..for a reason..his circuit sounds so freaking good..i replaced it having had an 8,000 dollar phonostage previously...all in all..it is up to the cartridge..get the ph..and in future you can change whats needed....listen,mine is only opinion..many will disagree..but,i have 45years listening experience...the cartridge wil reveal the most WITH the best speakers possible!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:29 pm 

just further state my opinion..the ph will play perfectly at 100ohm setting... u would not discern the difference at 800ohm or 400 ohm..if u did it would be slight nuances

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:32 pm 

Thanks again for your common sense advice-I’ve been able to relax and take a deep breath. I’m going to go with the PH, my first choice-we’ll see how it goes from there. I liked everything I read about the Tavish Adagio, so that may be a consideration someday in the future.
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:57 pm 

send me your email,il send u a picture of the ph with the table and the adagio.... once you have the ph....its all gravy after that..your set...enjoy my email sharethemusic@aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:29 pm 

confirm u got emails ty,andy