US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:14 pm 

What are some of the LPs/cds in your collection where both the music and the sound really come together to provide a really amazing emotional listening experience. Also what is the most unique piece of music you have ever heard that you consider a work of genius? My selection in the unique category is the entire side long track called "Virtually" from Soft Machine 4. Both jazz and rock people may dig this.Being so unique and different it may take several listens before you start "really getting it, but I remember liking it some on the first listen, before it gradually became a favorite.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:14 am 

the most unique=AWAKEN by yes...the most amazing piece of music ever put on vinyl..however,not the best sound ever put on vinyl.. the lyrics,the composition,the arrangement,the performances by the band, all reign supreme
as far as great sound quality all on vinyl..as no cd can give the emotional experience combined with pure analog sound in my experience here u go top 10
dire straits 1st lp uk press
teaser and the fire cat pink rim uk press cat stevens
led zep ii rl stamper us press
america america green label original
neil young zuma original us press
neil young after the gold rush original us press
supertramp crime of the century
david bowie hunky dory
little feat the last record album
fleetwood mac fleetwood mac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:48 am 

I am tempted to buy the Classic Yes UHQCD. I wanted to try the new Ultra High Quality CD format from Japan and for my initial disc I chose one based on lower price which I was interested in; Red Clay by Freddie Hubbard. It did sound like a good sounding CD.The UHQCD's are starting to become available here from Japan.The pits of the CD are stamped on a better material which results in more accurate pit pressing, and can be played on any regular CD player.I liked it enough to try some more. I think cds can give a good emotional experience if played back on a player that is acceptably free of digital artifacts (brittleness, hardness, grain and accentuated edge). Surprisingly its the players that add those artifacts I am sure now; not the cds themselves usually, I am learning as I improve my sound.I think the wonderful unlikely reappearance of new vinyl in many places is great, but I wonder if it will last more than a decade or two. I think what spurred it on is not so much the "better sound" but fad, nostalgia & the bigger physical size of the covers and artwork/ photos. A lot of people who played nothing but vinyl because that's the only high quality playback medium they had, are getting around senior citizen age.Some younger people are buying LPs but only time will tell if its just a fad or if it will continue and vinyl will be in the sub mainstream for a long time. There really is something about analog.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:02 am 

hey..first,which players do u suggest that eliminate the digital artifacts..i am a pure analog guy.however,i have a modified oppo by dan at modwright..it has all tube power supply and the main unit is analog with 2 6sn7's for output...i have nothing to compare it but my vinyl rig and there is NO COMPARISON. its way better than what it was before modification..
as far as NEW vinyl..FORGET it...its FAKE. any of my original presses from the 60s and 70s will destroy any new vinyl..i cant tell you the exact reason,but new vinyl is dull,lifeless,opaque ..has no life,no transparency and just is plan flat and dull....there are ideas why:the new process,machines,mastering techniques and on and on PALE in comparsion to the old machines used,the old techniques used to make ,master and engineer the vinyl...i do occasionally like the double 45rpms that qrp/acoustic sounds makes..but,its very hit or miss....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:53 pm 

I dabble mostly in the low to medium price ranges as far as CD players go. I modify them since none of the ones I've tried unmodified, have the kind of sound I'm used to from other sources. Some of the Marantz CD players and even DVD players have an inoffensive sound with better than average tone colors for a CD player. I picked up a Marantz DVD player on here for around $50, years ago which also plays SACD's.The SACD'S's are not a revelation but do sound about 20 to 25% more open with more space between instruments,(the ones I've tried) and do sound smoother and warmer a bit too. A lot of modern re-released LPs are digitally processed somewhere in the process.I think I have only bought about 2 of them.They sounded ok. I have a lot of classic rock vintage vinyl. On my jazz and classical I got into the habit of applying Last record preservative to some of my LPs.Its said to reduce stylus/vinyl friction and prolong longevity and drop distortion by 300%.That's a lot. I did not like using it on most rock records though.The music sounded too laid back sometimes and lost its agressiveness. When I could find them I tried to buy UK and German LP pressings, as they almost always had better sound than US pressings.I do still have some direct to disc and half speed master LPs also.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:18 pm 

forget half speed masters...total non-sense.... there are maybe 2 mofi half speed that are better than original..one for sure is waiting for columbus...in general mofi boosted both the highs and the bass..alll artificial ...and the half speed process for some reason saps the life out of the recording..95 percent of all "audiophile" pressings are just pure marketing bs..if you came to my music room and heard an original pressing of steely dan aja,next to the mofi half speed you would be startled by the difference,,,
i wonder what my oppo bly ray modified comparex to some of the super hi end stuff like esoteric etc...i know there are digital devices that sound amazing and will compare to my analog rig..ive just never heard it....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:20 pm 

last record is great for your stylus...a fantastic product..it does NOT reduce distortion by 300 percent,lol...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:56 pm 

The Last Company claims in their literature that reducing friction between stylus and vinyl decreases harmonic distortion by 300 %. I Don't know if that's true or not, all I know is that the tone colors get real pure and deep on everything you play after a Last treated record. But it does sound different tonally,(more laid back), which may or may not be to your liking.As I said I loved it for jazz, classical and even some rock which is acoustically oriented.Tonal color wise it sounds like you went from listening in black and white to color. I also used and use stylast.There's never been an instance where a dab on my stylus didn't make the highs notably cleaner.
Here's something that virtually every audiophile does wrong.When they cut the grooves in the material, which after several more steps results in the making of the actual record stamper.They cut the record groove at a slight angle so the gouged vinyl scraps go off to the side.So regarding cartridge azimuth, your cartridge bottom should not be perfectly parallel to the vinyl, it should be slightly slanted so it is perfectly parallel to the record groove.Highs in particular ( which represent the smallest groove undulations) get way purer and sweeter similar to the effects of using last products.Some say to not brush anything on your stylus because it can degrade the glue affixing it, but I've used over a dozen different cartridges and never a problem.
The old Mobile Fidelity was known for creative equalization.Sticky Fingers is the one that I Don't believe how they so backed off the presence. On my system I liked Legend, Slowhand,Fleetwood Mac,Fly Like An Eagle, Hotel California, Aqualung, some Moody Blues titles.They've changed personnel many times since then and I did try Brubeck/Mulligan and it sounded like it was one of the most perfect LPs sonically I ever heard.What presence and clarity.Nautilus boosted the treble and lessened the bass usually.Lots of titles I enjoyed.One of their direct to discs was a sonic masterpiece to the point, that back then, it gave me a wonderful glimpse into the future of how good my system will sound years later when I could upgrade all my gear.Mastersounds were bright and artificial often but had many good moments IMO. Sweet Thunder usually impressed me.Frampton Comes alive & some others sounded way cleaner than you could believe.
Aja the original pressing I remember as one I used to play a lot to impress myself along with The Royal Scam.The Mofi sounds pure but bright and hi-fi.I managed to near perfectly reproduce it though using tubes and cables that were laid back.You have to get everything matched up just right for that one.If you have a really good CD player like the Rega Saturn R or Simaudio you might really be impressed with the Dan's green colored box set.I think its called CITIZEN.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:12 am 

when u mention 'legend" are u referring to POCO? ty for your insight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:31 am 

Legend by the group Poco.Although I have never compared that one with the regular pressing. You can tell that it too was somewhat messed with equalization wise on the acoustic guitar strings harmonics, same for American Beauty (another good one) and Aqualung etc. but overall a really nice job.The older Mofi's that I have compared with the ordinary pressings generally much favor the MFSL in quiet surfaces, transient response, low distortion, frequency response extension and generosity in both low end & high end, better tracking, dynamic range and clarity.The original regular pressings were generally favored for openness/spatiality, more spot on timbre/harmonics and sometimes more vivid tone colors,(less bleached).The first half speed master LP that was released simultaneously with the regular pressing was Ghost In The Machine-Police. On the classical side, the old early stereo London Bluebacks CS series were half speed mastered; so its not a particularly new idea or process.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:39 am 

wow the bluebacks were half speed? never new..i have many

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:37 am 

You may know this, but there was a comprehensive book written about the London Bluebacks series back in the 1980's by I think his name was Robert Moon,( which is where the 1/2 speed fact came from). Similar to the RCA bible by Jonathan Valin.There was another one written on the Living Stereos by Jim Mitchell. It gave collectors a guide as to which Shaded Dogs to really look for (at a time that was at the height of their collectibility and value) and his list came to be known as The Mitchell List. It was before The Rca Bible. Probably hard to find.There are many out of print books on audio that are rare and collectible including Roy Allison's book which talks a lot about how speakers and rooms interact.Charles Rodriguez, the former cartoonist for Stereo Review came out with a compilation book featuring his old cartoons, called I believe, Total Harmonic Distortion, and it is capable of getting over $100 on ebay auctions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:49 pm 

the room determines the sound of system wayyyyyy more than any conditioner,interconnect,speaker cable could ever do.. sounds like u have been in this along long time..maybe u should write a book
my friends tell me i should..but my knowledge is only in my love for sound and music..no memory to put it down on paper,lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:12 pm 

The ideal room would be circular like every symphony hall I've seen, where no standing waves could develop.It should have as high a ceiling as possible and the walls should be thick with great density and built of composite materials that are prone to eliminate slap echo. You can make a normal size living room sound pretty much like the acoustics of a large cathedral by buying a cheap used time delay audio processer, popular back in the 1980's like Audio Pulse, Advent, ADS etc.But your front channel speakers won't have the same focus 100%.Try a huge Pipe Organ recording and be transported to an acoustic 50 times bigger than your living room.Awesome experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:02 am 

my next music room will take your idea..CIRCULAR.. fantastic idea....my current room is 16x 20 box...it sounds good..not great..the equipment is fantastic..the room is the weakest link