hi

im just wondering
what would the svs ultra towers as fronts with svs ultra centre
with 4 svs prime elevation atmos modules

using them with two chane music 5.4 rears
and chane 2.4 as additional rears

using them with a denon 4400
and either with a emotiva xpa2 gen 3 amp
or a parasound a21 amp which ever in your opions would be the better amp to use with this setup

and also with two sb 118 chane subwoofers and 2 pb16 ultra subwoofers
with blue jeans belden u500e speaker cables

what would this be like as a setup would the svs and chane speakers work well together would they blend intergrate well seamelessly with each other
and sound great together just wondering
also would i be better of changing the speaker cable thanks

Post subject: Re: im just wondering
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:54 am 

he's back........

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:28 pm 

lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:26 pm 

I'd go with the SVS.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:43 pm 

upside have you had the chance to hear any tekton models? and where would you say svs towers fall....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:27 pm 

You do not give enough info on the sides or back of your room. If for instance you have rows of bookshelves, that would be a factor. If you have multiple encyclopedia sets, why not try bringing in to your listening room the older set. Even if they are out of date, they might sound better acoustically. If they are leather bound you will get a certain different sound. Or you could arrange them on your shelves so that the spines are away from you, and where the pages open are facing you. You won't be able to look things up as easily, but you can guess, around which volume you would need. Anything you need to look up with the letter A would probably be the first 2 volumes or so. X Y & Z would be the last few volumes probably. Anything needing looked up with the letter L will be...err a little harder, but what's 3 or 4 extra ttys when better sound is at stake.
If you don't have Brittanica's and just have books, you won't really be able to find what book you want easily. But again that comes second to good sound.
Drapes can make the sound dull, but opening them will result in the glary sound that only glass can provide.Lamps sound ok, unless their shades are not round shaped,(they usually are).Round column shaped objects in the corners of rooms work well. Its not easy to figure out how your sound will be without trying speakers first.

Re: Tekton's. I have never heard them.I usually like speakers with narrow front baffles or no front baffle and simple crossovers or better yet no crossovers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:00 am 

if u get the chnce with all your experience and knowledge,you should hear any of eric alenders builds(tekton).....you can throw out what you usually like visually and just listen..the most innovative speaker builder in the usa by far...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:57 am 

The Tekton speakers are supposed to punch way above their price and are supposedly easy to get absolutely great sound from, but any speaker with a wide enough front baffle I would have to hear first.
My ears are very sensitive to even moderate amounts of cabinet diffraction. The last speaker I owned which had problems in that area were Polk model 10's in 1983. All my subsequent speaker choices have taken this into account and I have been pretty much cabinet interference free since then. Polk themselves have long since gone to slimmer designs. The Tekton speakers look like they have a lot of drivers. Does this break up some of the standing waves? Are they a speaker that has their share of cabinet diffraction?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:14 am 

Re: SVS System
Oh I almost forgot, or as a matter of fact I did forget. When you get done changing your books around, I'd use color ink markers on them like a code to help you find which ones you want. Unless they're collectible books in which case I'd just write them down on a piece of paper or something.
But anyway, in addition to or maybe in place of your Bluejean cables, I would at least try Supra cables. With all that, you're gonna need lots of cables anyway. I never heard Bluejean cables, I know they're recommended.The Supras might not sound as casual, but you might want to give them a try also. They are made out your way, in Sweden.
They have a US Importer. I didn't have to get on a boat and go all the way out there; I almost would have. They are quite good.The cable sheathing itself is blue in color. They are not color coded as to which lead is positive or negative; but that shouldn't be a problem with all those magic markers yyou'llhave for your books.
I'm not sure if the cables are directional or not.I'm starting to get up into my years and its hard to make out those little tiny arrows; if there are any. Maybe I should switch mine around to see if I can get better sound.There has to be a limited amount of possible combinations, like when you're looking for the right books.
When I first got them I thought they were tinned silver on the ends; (the cables, not the books), my encyclopedias are gold leafed on the pages. I really went for it. I got the super deluxe set. I have the 1947 set in the living room, and the non leather 1996 set in the bedroom.
Anyway the Supra cables are not jtinytinned on the ends but each strand is tinned throughout the whole cable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:33 pm 

i simply suggest you call eric with your concerns..he would gladly talk shop with you..i dont get into cabinet diffraction or any other physical attribute of a speaker..i simply have 45 years of hi end experience and eric makes the best sounding speakers in usa or most of the world..by a long shot..i currently have different size pairs of his speakers..lore reference,enzo xl and double impacts.... understanding all the drivers he uses would be much better explained by eric..but,for instance most of what you see as tweeters,are not at all tweeters....again,its only about the sound the speakers produce..i couldnt care less what he uses....and comparing polk audio to tekton is like comparing a 3,000,000 dollar house on the beach to a homeless shelter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:01 pm 

For one thing, I'm not sure I am sufficiently focused on Tekton speakers at this point or any other speakers for that matter. I play musical chairs with the pairs of fine speakers that I currently have.Polks I have never compared to Tekton. I didn't like my Polk 10's so well in some ways, but they were what I could afford when very young.To me anything with much width front baffle wise sounds like diffraction problems. An audio fact of life? Not sure but currently satisfied.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:55 pm 

I bought the Polks when I was still a teenager, after making the mistake of buying a fairly expensive pair of Japanese speakers which were phase aligned but colored.Anything but natural sounding, even for the 1970's.The Polks were actually pretty good in most ways. They used 2 midrange/ mid bass drivers horizontally aligned which necessitated a wider cabinet. Like the first pair of speakers, I was influenced to buy them from a less than accurate review. The Audiogram review said "the Polks definition was almost on a par with the Magnepan." In retrospect "No". They were more natural sounding than my previous Asian speaker, and for $200 pair they could go flat in the bass down to about 30 Hz. Remember those days when you could get near full range bass for a few C notes.They had a well regarded Peerless tweeter, and their high efficiency combined with my dynamic range expander and 200 Watts per channel gave me the most exciting sound for blocks. They were overall fun and a relief from the severe coloration of my previous speaker. But after hearing speakers with less cabinet diffraction I knew one thing I didn't like about them anymore.
I do not rule out it being possible to build a wide speaker which does not have such diffraction problems. But at least in my experience those speakers have had to have either a rounded or off shape front baffle. I remember long ago hearing a pair of the floorstanding Spica Angelus, which I liked back then, but they had a very odd shape. Generally parallel sides create standing waves, there could be ways of getting around it. I am not sure. But with free space behind the midrange and tweeter; its hard to go wrong.
I wonder how many Ohm Walsh, Dahlquist, Magnepan, BES, Vandersteen and electrostatics speaker owners, started out with a little too wide baffled box speaker, and realized like myself, what bothered them about the sound ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:09 am 

nothing ever bothered me about the sound of my 2 pairs of dalquist..probably,one of the great speaker designers of all time..my dq-12s to this day perform perfectly in all aspects

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:53 am 

Has anyone every at length heard BES speakers from the 1970/80's? They used Styrofoam drivers instead of paper cone. They used their own styro driver, but I was surprised to learn recently that KEF once made a Styrofoam driver. The LS35A which is a cult speaker that goes for lots of money nowadays, used a KEF dome tweeter, which is still a pretty decent tweeter, over 40 years later. One of my bookshelf speakers is a KEF which uses the same LS35A tweeter. Never knew they had such good tweeter technology in the mid 1970's.I knew the ESS Hell tweeters and Infinity Emit tweeters were good though. Anyone have any long-term experience with BES speakers?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:54 am 

Has anyone every at length heard BES speakers from the 1970/80's? They used Styrofoam drivers instead of paper cone. They used their own styro driver, but I was surprised to learn recently that KEF once made a Styrofoam driver. The LS35A which is a cult speaker that goes for lots of money nowadays, used a KEF dome tweeter, which is still a pretty decent tweeter, over 40 years later. One of my bookshelf speakers is a KEF which uses the same LS35A tweeter. Never knew they had such good tweeter technology in the mid 1970's.I knew the ESS Hell tweeters and Infinity Emit tweeters were good though. Anyone have any long-term experience with BES speakers?