US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:21 pm 

Just thought there should be something here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:47 pm 

Well now there is.

Sweet Super Bee avatar !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:23 pm 

What is it you love about Vintage Audio? - Alure of the fire bottles glowing in the dark? Rolling tubes from your massive collection. The dried out capacitors that need to be replaced? Rusty chassis's and worn silk screen? The hash and hiss you hear between tracks or at idle? Upgrading and modifying only to find the original tone is no longer there? I can not lie I have a basement full of vintage audio that I Love...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:35 pm 

hifijones wrote:
Well now there is.

Sweet Super Bee avatar !

Thanks, that's the back of my 69 so I guess I like old cars as well

Anyone want to talk about the magic of old JBL speakers & McIntosh tube gear??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 pm 

Madranker wrote:
What is it you love about Vintage Audio? - Alure of the fire bottles glowing in the dark? Rolling tubes from your massive collection. The dried out capacitors that need to be replaced? Rusty chassis's and worn silk screen? The hash and hiss you hear between tracks or at idle? Upgrading and modifying only to find the original tone is no longer there? I can not lie I have a basement full of vintage audio that I Love...

Probably the warm and wonderful tube sound I get with my MC 75's thru a pair of JBL Olympus, sounds just like the live bands I used to hear at sound check around 4 in the afternoon at the club!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:04 pm 

Madranker wrote:

Haha, at first I thought you were criticizing vintage gear... shoulda know you would only have that much insight into the pitfalls because you're right there with the rest of us, tearing our hair out and having a great time! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:06 pm 

FWIW, I'm into vintage a little bit for the looks and style, but mostly because I think it often represents a great value! Lots of vintage gear would be incredibly expensive to reproduce these days, yet it's often sitting at garage sales for pennies on the dollar. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:47 am 

I don't tear out my hair, I'm bald as a cue ball. I mentioned the pitfalls of vintage gear to make you think. You have to embrace old audio equipment as a HOBBY - You must be willing to do the work to bring this equipment back to specs and stay true to the individual components design tone. Don't just start slapping new parts in the chassis, do the research and install the right parts. There's a ton of beautiful amps and preamps, turntables etc. in people's racks modified to the nines, but I'd much rather have something in mint stock condition that sounds and looks as it once did.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:51 am 

Agree with ya'all (did that sound southern? :mrgreen: ) on many counts. This has been a lifelong 'hobby' (somehow that word just doesn't seem powerful enough...obsession might be more fitting) for many of us. Bitten by the bug in my early teens and never looked back. Practically lived at Listening Booth and Radio Shack as a teen (when I wasn't at the arcade). Still stubbornly clinging to a piece of high-end JVC (is that an oxymoron?) purchased brand new in '85. 30 years. Wow, where'd the time go? Been as reliable as the proverbial rock. Can't let it go. Too much sentimental value there, plus it still sounds great.

Granted, there were periods stretching sometimes many years where life intervenes and the system takes a back seat. Somehow, some way though, the fire is always re-lit again. Most recently it was thanks to purchase of an ancient SAE amplifier. That was the kindling that turned into an inferno. Speakers soon followed. Then yet another amp...a DAC...a preamp...blah blah. In between there's the endless scouring of thrift shops and yard sales hoping to unearth that next gem for a few nickels. The latest is hand-crafting wiring after too many disappointments with what's currently available on the market. Obsession indeed. I will say, the more vintage I become, the more of an appreciation I gain for the equipment of yesteryear. It's far more than just nostalgia. Too much of todays stuff is fancy displays and buttons with no real guts. We won't get into the price tags that'd make even a certain Mr. Gates blink twice. Echoing the sentiment of grandparents worldwide...'they sure don't make 'em like they used to!'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:22 pm 

Love my vintage gear; Accuphase C 200 pre and Accuphase P 300 power amp. All completely restored. Also a HK St-8 turntable.
I have a pair of Avid 230, and Avant legacy II speakers. Along with HK 505 Integrated amp; and lets not forget the Sony TAE-5450 pre and Dynaco-Stereo 416 power amp. My new speakers are Vandersteen 2ce signature II's.
:D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:40 pm 

jazzatr wrote:
Love my vintage gear; Accuphase C 200 pre and Accuphase P 300 power amp. All completely restored. Also a HK St-8 turntable.
I have a pair of Avid 230, and Avant legacy II speakers. Along with HK 505 Integrated amp; and lets not forget the Sony TAE-5450 pre and Dynaco-Stereo 416 power amp. My new speakers are Vandersteen 2ce signature II's.
:D

Dyna416--Those kick ASS!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:32 am 

and Love my vintage gear !
sansui 9090DB X 3
marantz 2385
marantz 2330B
luxman R 1120
tandberg TR 2080
JBL L200B
YAMAHA NS 9595
THE FISHER XP7
KEF CONCERTO
BOSE 501 iii
THORENS TD 160
THORENS TD 145
LEAK GL 75
TECHNICS SL 1700
and moreeeee.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:32 am 

I FREAK EN LOVE VINTAGE

I recently switched out my current production set up to a vintage set up

IN CURRENT PRODUCTION

McIntosh MA-6300 integrated $5000.00
VPI Cassic with Clearaudio TT-3 tonearm $5000.00
Wilson-Benisch speakers $3000.00
Total $13000.00

VINTAGE

1978 Sansui G-9000 receiver $1100.00 + recap and lights $450.00 Total $$1550.00
1987 Linn LP-12 with a few upgrades $2000.00
1982 Yamaha NS-1000M $1200.00
Total $4750.00

The vintage setup out preforms the current production setup in every way and for a lot less money
The one thing I learned about vintage is the only units worth a restoration to me are the top of the line models.
I know some people are not fans of vintage But dollar for dollar vintage is by far the best deal going in my opinion
After selling off the the first setup and buying everything in the second setup I had a substantial amount of
money left over and way better focus , sound stage and all around better sound.

Attachments:
PICT0288.JPG
PICT0288.JPG [ 671.91 KiB | Viewed 6963 times ]
PICT0295.JPG
PICT0295.JPG [ 376.21 KiB | Viewed 6963 times ]
PICT0283.JPG
PICT0283.JPG [ 672.75 KiB | Viewed 6963 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:41 pm 

Nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:13 am 

There should be something here, you're right. I happen to love vintage audio, especially turntables, tube preamps and amplifiers. Audio Research, Dynaco, Heathkit, Fisher, Van Alstine, who doesn't love these old jewels? Turntables like the Kenwood KD-750, the Technics SP-10, SP-15 & SP-25, the LINN LP-12, Ariston RD-11 & RD-40, the JJ Transcriptor to name just a few. Analog is king but the older CEC TL-51 and TL-5100 can get you real close and how cool are top loaders? This thread has sat open with zero replies for too long or perhaps other members are ashamed to admit that they prefer the vintage gear over new. Like having an old amp or pre in your system is akin to having a broken down car sitting in your driveway. I'm not ashamed nor am I embarrassed, I love vintage. Your thoughts...