US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Phono preamp: New vs Old
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:10 am 

Has anyone compared any new entry level phono preamps to well designed, reasonably priced "vintage" phono stages (like the stage in the NAD 1020, 1155 or 1600 for example). Trying to decide if I should upgrade...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:38 am 

Hi From Atlantic Canada!
IMHO - I'd try other phono sections. I've owned several NADs over the years, including a 701 receiver that I still use at the summer place. Even used to have a PP1. My advice is try other outboard phono sections. Without exception, I've always found the NAD (MM) easy to improve upon. Right now I use the 701 above with a Gram Amp 2 (not SE).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:07 pm 
Premium User

I had an old PS Audio III. I now have a Jolida JD9. I have heard others and this Jolida blows the old ones away. Of course mine is highly modified.
Take a look at my project over on the Vinyl Engine: http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_fo ... 19&t=39598
Best, Nut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:21 am 

I like the Pro-ject phono tube box II, especially with upgraded tubes. It beat out the Vincent Pho-8 2 box setup.

Scott

[Edit by Mod - Please do not promote current ads in the forums]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:03 pm 

As far as the old? You might consider a "THIEDRA" Servo Loop Pre-Amplifier from G.A.S. (Great American Sound). It is the top of the line pre-amp from GAS which was paired up with the AMPZILLA Amplifier back when GAS CEO and Chief Designer JAMES BONGIORNO put solid state on the map as an alternate to tube amps for audiophiles. James later designed a complete set up updated PC Boards which made an already fantastic and proven design even better.I have an original production Thaedra which is an incredible sounding pre-amp without question (especially at 35+ years of age). I ALSO own and use in my own system, James Bongiornos personal (fully upgraded and updated) Thaedra which was used at trade shows (CES) to demo his latest amplifier creation the AMPZILLA 2000 line from his latest company venture Spread Spectrum Technologies up until his health declined and later his passing in Jan 2013 (RIP). In my opinion and own limitatioins to only what others Ive heard,This is more than a worthy contender to whats available in the solid state pre amplifier market today,Especially at the price range most people could even consider a realistic possibility to afford.Just my own opinion but you might consider A THAEDRA if you decide to go for the old stuff!