US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Odd Forum Behavior
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:53 pm 

Today I posted a reply to the "Great Albums You Just Gotta Hear" topic under "General Audio Discussion." Strangely, no matter what I did the forum would always accept my post as an edit of my previous post rather than as a new posting. The down side is the topic does not get an updated posting date so it won't show as containing a new post unless the curious actually enter the topic to see for themselves. I'm a regular on several forums, many with the same appearance as this one, and I've never experienced this phenomenon before.

Is there something odd about how this forum is configured?

Post subject: Re: Odd Forum Behavior
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:29 am 

weitrhino wrote:
Today I posted a reply to the "Great Albums You Just Gotta Hear" topic under "General Audio Discussion." Strangely, no matter what I did the forum would always accept my post as an edit of my previous post rather than as a new posting. The down side is the topic does not get an updated posting date so it won't show as containing a new post unless the curious actually enter the topic to see for themselves. I'm a regular on several forums, many with the same appearance as this one, and I've never experienced this phenomenon before.

Is there something odd about how this forum is configured?

This is a setting in pHpBB and is intended to keep users from unnecessarily bumping posts just to keep them on top or, in some cases, simply to pad their post counts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:10 am 

I see. Is that a rampant problem in the 'Mart' universe?

Speaking in particular of the US side, I'd think it could use all the posts it can get. I'm attempting to generate traffic in a thread about interesting music and foster camaraderie and sharing of tastes but it will be danged difficult to get anything off the ground when readers scan the topic headers and don't see any updates. They simply won't look. The method may make sense if the topic seeks to solicit responses for a poster's personal gain, but I'd suggest a re-evaluation for other cases. You can clearly see I'm not trying to pad my post count, which is all the way up to 17 now, the same as yours.

I submit this is not the chilling effect you want.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:47 am 

One could always start a thread on cables.......they always seem to gain steam.

Attachments:
675383.gif [47.57 KiB]
Downloaded 1042 times

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

I don't mind tweaking the behaviour on USAM but I can't find the option to to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:52 pm 

Just curious if the ability to tweak this setting has been located yet. Recently I posted a different thread on the subject that has apparently been deleted. All I have ever wanted to do is help generate a discussion encouraging the discovery of new music but seem to run headlong into administrated chilling effects.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:46 pm 

We found the setting in the forum software and changed it to a more reasonable time frame (6 hours).

We definitely want to encourage discussion so never be afraid to let us know what is causing you difficulty in this regard.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:34 pm 

I appreciate the response.

Just moments ago I posted a follow-up message in Great Albums You Just Gotta Hear. The problem I have with forum operation is that it doesn't show as a new post. All the system does is automatically amend my previous post such that the thread will not show a new posting unless someone actually enters the thread and scrolls to the bottom. The casual forum surfer looking to catch up on new postings will never see it. Why is it that if I post after one of my own posts all the system does is amend the original instead of registering a new post?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:40 pm 

weitrhino wrote:
I appreciate the response.

Just moments ago I posted a follow-up message in Great Albums You Just Gotta Hear. The problem I have with forum operation is that it doesn't show as a new post. All the system does is automatically amend my previous post such that the thread will not show a new posting unless someone actually enters the thread and scrolls to the bottom. The casual forum surfer looking to catch up on new postings will never see it. Why is it that if I post after one of my own posts all the system does is amend the original instead of registering a new post?

We're not sure. This may be a bug with pHpBB, it may be a permission setting we're missing, or it's a setting we have no found yet. We'll keep checking.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:41 pm 

Thanks for helping me get that thread off the ground. Though readership here is relatively low, I sure hope others decide to participate and share music about which to get excited with the rest of us.