US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:09 am 

Not even 20 minutes ago I registered and posted my Home theater for sale, right away I received an email asking for my paypal email,
few minutes later I receive an email from Paypal (however it's not a real email they use) looked very well done, email states that funds will be credited to your account
once you ship the item and send us a tracking info.

Said he wanted it shipped to Nigeria for his Wedding gift to his son lol, offered me 200$ more to cover shipping expenses.

My main alert was, paypal email he sent ended up in my Junk folder, which never happens/

Watch out guys just a heads up

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

Did a moderator already clean up the response to the ad? I was going to investigate to see if we could learn more about this user, but I see that the reply is no longer available on the site.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:51 pm 

I don't believe the scammer contacted the seller through the reply system. I tried looking for a reply as well but none exists.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:30 pm 

I believe IMHO that no non-member should be able to send emails, just as about every other trading site does. The temptation is too big, the doors to the house are wide open, members who are tired or intoxicated may be caught off guard:)

I still have fun reading the infantile variations on the classic Nigerian 401 Scam.

Even better, emails wearing the letterhead of my own bank, phone pr electric company come from time to time, deconstructing the header and getting to source is fun, eventually i serve the info to the IC3 gang at FBI.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

bobpaule wrote:
I believe IMHO that no non-member should be able to send emails, just as about every other trading site does.

By default non-members can only send replies by passing a few CAPTCHA tests, and any member can edit their profile so they only receive replies from members (look for "Receive Classified Responses from Registered Members Only" in your profile editing page. It's worth considering turning that feature on by default, but we like to err on the side of trying to maximize responses and clear our bad IPs as we encounter them, as well as developing methods to block spammers/scammers naturally.

The point here however, is that I think the Nigerian scammer in this case didn't contact fireeffectz via USAM, as no such reply is recorded in our system.