US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:18 pm 

Getting ready to move and found my old turntable and cassette deck in storage. The turntable is a Denon DP-755 configured with an Infinity Black Widow tone arm and a Shure M95 cartridge. All are in almost new condition. The cassette deck is a Nakamichi 600 (the wedge design) -- in good working order but not new. I've seen the tone arm by itself on e-bay for $995 -- that seems outrageous to me but it begs the question, if I want to sell these what should I ask? Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:46 pm 

You could check the current asking prices for those components here on US Audio Mart, AudiogoN and Canuck Audio Mart. But if there are no listings for those items, then check eBay. Recently completed eBay sales are an excellent tool to gauge the relative worth of any given audio component. And the reason for this is simple: eBay sells more of any particular model from any particular manufacturer than anyone else, whether it's low-fi, mid-fi or hi-fi.

Like it or not, eBay sells more of any specific model than AudiogoN, USAM, CAM and any of the other buying/selling sites combined.

So go to eBay and do a Search for each individual model that you're wondering about and note the current prices that each seller is asking for. Then click on the Sold listings box in the left-hand column under the Show only header. This will take you to the page for recently sold items that match your Search. Depending on how many items have been sold recently, this listing may show you the selling prices going back one or maybe two months.

Currently there are no DP-755s' for sale on eBay nor were any sold recently.

There are two Black Widows' available: $899.00 and one that the bidding is up to $232.50. If you have an eBay account, you should watch each of those by selecting "Add to watch list", which is found underneath the Add to cart icon. If you're not a member, join - it's free. Then you'll know what the final selling prices are. A Black Widow sold for $535.00 on 6/6 and another one that was broken in half(!) sold for $231.29 on 7/5.

There are six Nakamichis' currently for sale with prices ranging from $129.00 to $330.00. You should add each one of those to your "Watch" list as well. Fifteen have sold recently, from a low of $19.48 (parts unit) to a high of $350.00 with a nice wooden cabinet. Of the twelve that sold that were not parts units, the average selling price was around $167.00.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:58 am 

Unfortunately, the original Nak 600 is not that popular, neither expensive among the collectors. That model has a lot of problems and it's not easy to calibrate. The 600 II, on the other hand, is of higher quality with many improvements over the former one. The problem with all these old Naks is that they are already over 30 years old and ALL, without exceptions, need a full rebuild. That goes anywhere from $150.00 to $300.00. Much more than what your machine cost today.

Try it at ebay and you'll see that your 600 wouldn't fetch anything over $100.00...if you are lucky.

Good luck! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:35 am 

Nakamichi decks, in fact all cassette decks are now considered "very vintage" by many. Most decks will require internal freshening; especially the dreaded belt replacement. My Naks will cost me close to $100. for just a belt swap; let alone any needed distortion reducing work. Plus, I might have to pay for mailing back and forth to/from the tech. Finding that tech is not easy, BTW.

This is the connundrum with vintage gear; especially electro-mechanical gear like turntables and tape decks. The cost of fixing can easily exceed the actual dollar value...So, we must be diligent whether a resto job is worthy...We must really like the item or hope to enjoy that item...

Still, vintage tape decks are not being reproduced; yet. Turntables that are new, at every budget level, are slowly returning...which is a good sign for our vintage hobby...However, I don't think cassette decks and eight track decks(still very worthy to the vintage car and musclecar world) will be remanufactured anytime soon.

While $$$ values can easily be checked online as mentioned in posts above, intrinsic and "return to childhood memory" values cannot be easily measured. Consider that the vintage automobile market is exactly the same; even tougher. While parts' costs and labor costs keep climbing, when reselling the "classics" the selling value rarely recovers actual costs of car ownership. Hopefully, the enjoyable memories of using classic gear (of all types) outweighs the actual selling value (or insured agreed value). Otherwise, the usual "throw away society" will prevail. Why buy new when reconditioned stuff can bring just as much joy and possibly even save some money ?.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:16 am 

I'm trying to figure out what my selling price should be for a pair of JBL 4412 studio monitors. Any information would be awesome thank you.

-apd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:08 am 

Type JBL 4412 in DuckDuckGo search engine and there are several pairs for sale.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JBL-4412-Studio- ... SwqfNXoSKC

Last edited by ddoran45 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:07 am 

The one I saw is my own ad lol the rest are for jbl 4412A which I do not have I've had an incredibly hard time finding any information about them at all but thanks for your smart ass response!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:32 am 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-4412-Studio ... SwqfNXoSKC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:40 pm 

Gee whilikers, it's not smart ass,
it's obvious.
It's not as if you have no computer to discover these things on yer own.

Last edited by ddoran45 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:47 pm 

Thanks hifijones turns out that's the price I had them listed for. I guess my hopes were that since this is an audio equipment forum possibly someone would know more about them than I, as I acquired them from a relative and have very little audio equipment knowledge. But thank you for trying to help.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:19 pm 

Go on hifishark.com to find out what others are asking for your equipment.

A lot depends on the local market, the condition of your gear, and how you photograph and describe it.

Don't use eBay as a guide: a lot of the ads you see are for overpriced gear that the sellers relist continuously hoping for a sucker to buy. A better guide is watching what sells quickly, because that's what sets the market value.

There is no real intrinsic value in vintage gear, except for mint condition collectable level pieces. It's all what people are willing to pay.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:49 am 

icevic wrote:
Go on hifishark.com to find out what others are asking for your equipment.

What sellers are asking for is sometimes disproportionate to what they're actually getting but I agree that hifishark is an excellent resource.

icevic wrote:
Don't use eBay as a guide: a lot of the ads you see are for overpriced gear that the sellers relist continuously hoping for a sucker to buy.

That's why I specifically recommended that the OP check the recent SOLD listings on ebay; these are real-world prices and a good indicator of current pricing trends.

icevic wrote:
A better guide is watching what sells quickly, because that's what sets the market value.

True dat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:24 pm 

Asking prices are completely meaningless. Sold prices are the only ones that matter if you really want to sell your gear. Both HI Fi Shark and ebay allow you to easily search sold listings.