US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: CDP transport screws
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:16 pm 

Seasons' Greetings fellow USAMers!

Just wondering if anyone knows a good source for CD player transport screws/tabs/clamps. I checked ebay and can't believe there's not a single set available. I have a vintage CDP that will have to be shipped soon and it's not advisable to ship it without the clamps that secure the transport in place. The pic below is an approximation of the version I'll need. Or has anyone had any success by using something else other than these factory clamps? I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
Attachment:
1478205-rotel-or-ar-acoustic-research-cd-player-transport-locking-screw.jpg
1478205-rotel-or-ar-acoustic-research-cd-player-transport-locking-screw.jpg [ 55.13 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]

Post subject: Re: CDP transport screws
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:54 pm 

who makes the player you have now ? have you tried contacting them to see if they have one.......if not, ask them what they recommend you do .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:57 pm 

They are not universal by any means-there are many transport styles and models. My old JVC from the 80's was plated metal-basically like a long machine screw with a smooth narrow point that slid inot the transport.
Best bet is if it needs them, and you don't have them-I would be wary about shipping. There for a reason.
Good luck in finding them!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:26 pm 

riley804 wrote:
who makes the player you have now ? have you tried contacting them to see if they have one.......if not, ask them what they recommend you do .

Unfortunately that train has left the station. It's an old Magnavox CDB582 with the TDA1541 DAC chip from the '80s. Nice player but chances are slim that I'd ever use it again. I was planning on selling it here on USAM but like automojo mentioned it might not survive UPS/Fedex/USPS Ground shipping without those transport screws. I was hoping that someone might have substituted something else for the transport screws in the past and had some success i.e. a 'Rube Goldberg' maneuver.

I guess if I can't ship it as-is it's going to end up at a thrift store. Some unsuspecting buyer is going to get a sweet CDP for next to nothing. Oh well it's Christmas. :)