US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:44 am 

Also my $.02 worth here. It is not so much the defects on the vinyl that I find distressing but the fact that the music sounds dull and lifeless. I recenly spent over $150 at Acoustic Sounds for some new vinyl and all except one was very dull to the point where I thought I had playback issues. Playing some older vinyl confirmed that it was not the hardware but the software where the issue lay. These newer records made me rethink the whole vinyl playback thing. Were it not for me several hundred older LPs that I love to play, I would serious think of dumping LP playback, sell it and see what else I could do with the spare dollars.

So endth the gospel according to Robert, for the day. Amen...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:28 pm 

Been buying a lot of vinyl these days and am having pretty good luck. However, Just bought Lana Del Ray "Born to Die" and "Paradise". Both cut from compressed digital files. They sound horrible. Just like MP3s. Dull, limited headroom, lacks any timing. So, now I am paying lots more attention to source of the music in mastering and less worried about pops. If you see DDA or ADD, on the back of the album cover, be aware.

Right now, I am listening to a whole pile of .99 cent Goodwill records I got yesterday. Sound great!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:57 am 

shawnwes wrote:
I've just recently got back into purchasing new sealed vinyl. Each of the last 3 lps I've purchased has some form of pressing defect. None of these were re-issues from 3rd party labels such as Wax Time, etc. These were all produced by the original issuing label and cost me almost $100 CAD total for the 3 of them. The sound is excellent on all 3 records but they each have pressing defects that probably wouldn't have been there 20-30 years ago when I was paying about $13-16 each. I don't think I encountered 1 in 30 issues with purchases back in the 80s & 90s when I was purchasing most of my material.

Here's the 3 new sealed lps I purchased this week and associated issues:

Miles Davis: Kind of Blue (Sony Legacy 180gm) - a dozen or so ticks & pops on track 1 side 2.

Barney Kessel: The Poll Winners (Contemporary Records OJC-156 180gm) - last track misc right channel chirps during the last minute.

Bob Dylan: Shadows In The Night (Columbia Records 180gm) - lots of ticks and pops side 1.

Is QC really that bad these days with even the major labels? If so I might have to cut down on the # of purchases and just migrate to the audiophile labels for the "I must have" recordings and just buy a used CD for the rest or go without.

That's my rant for the night. Thanks for listening.

What's your experience been recently for new sealed vinyl?
I completely agree - even on these 180gm 'virgin' vinyl pressings - horrible. I've given up on analog and have been able to get even better SQ from digital.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:01 am 

dbdotdot wrote:
Been buying a lot of vinyl these days and am having pretty good luck. However, Just bought Lana Del Ray "Born to Die" and "Paradise". Both cut from compressed digital files. They sound horrible. Just like MP3s. Dull, limited headroom, lacks any timing. So, now I am paying lots more attention to source of the music in mastering and less worried about pops. If you see DDA or ADD, on the back of the album cover, be aware.

Right now, I am listening to a whole pile of .99 cent Goodwill records I got yesterday. Sound great!!
Name one direct to vinyl pressing you have. Yes some of the old vinyl from 40 yrs ago was done tape to master. And on my digital playback I can hear that tape hiss. Vinyl fortunately or unfortunately has so much surface noise it mask that tape hiss - but also musical detail as well.

'A whole pile' of Goodwill .99Cent records. No scratches :roll: Yeah right.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:02 am 

Most of the direct to disc lps available on eBay sound wonderful but were recorded during the 70's and there is only a very limited selection.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:53 am 

johnto wrote:
Most of the direct to disc lps available on eBay sound wonderful but were recorded during the 70's and there is only a very limited selection.

And they are expensive.

The original Classic Records 200gr with QUIEX SV-P are also very good. Better titles now sell for $150 new, $100+ used in mint cond. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:14 pm 

Some of the D to D are under $10 including shipping.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:36 am 

But the titles and artists are pretty limited/obscure. Some decent Jazz and Classical.