US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:25 am 

Does anybody have any information that can verify the authenticity of the Russian reel to reel tape copies that claim to be recording studio master tapes?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:03 pm 

Welcome! to the forums.

Far be it from me to paint all sellers and/or anything that comes from the Russian Federation with a broad brush, nevertheless I would take any and all claims from that part of the world with a very large grain of salt. But it sounds like you already realize that and are using due diligence to protect yourself.

Good luck on your voyage of discovery.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:20 am 

Absolutely. The story goes that back in the day a little after the golden age or recordings began here there was an agreement between RCA, and Columbia to release a portion of their library in Russia under the "Melodia" label. Also a few DGG and EMI. Of course, there was an engineer who either copied the originals for his use or took the second generation masters when everything went to digital. Now he is making copies as tape is the new vinyl. I know for a fact that this did happen in the U.S. but not frequently. Of course, there is always the possibility of copying cd's or streaming and calling it analogue. I have four of these Russian copies now that I ordered and found the following on a system comprised of Sound Labs Majestic's, Audio research 10th anniversary, and Siegfried amps.

The vinyl doesn't have quite the sweetness of the tapes, there is greater dynamic range but the tape does not have the graininess of cd. I use a VPI with an Air Tight and a highly modified Counterpoint SA9 phono preamp. There is also better inner voice detail in the tape I know that this could be because of the Ampex tube decks that I am using but I have checked the comparisons on a couple of friends Technique 1506's and find the same things there. They also use different electronics. Also, I have checked to see if there are any tape releases that don't have vinyl releases and have not found any.

That is about as far as I can go. The tapes out perform the vinyl but you do want them to be authentic. U.S. Audio Mart provides this service to be able to have contact and some of the viewers are international. I was just hoping that someone had more background information or experience here that they could share.

Thanks for this and any other replies.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:36 pm 

If you don't get any additional replies here on USAM, you might consider posting the same request for information on Canuck Audio Mart. USAM is a spin-off of CAM and your username and password are the same there as they are here on USAM. Just log-in there as you normally would here.

The forums on CAM are very active on a daily basis and you may find the answers you're looking for. If not, someone may be able to point you in the right direction.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:56 am 

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:49 pm 

what seller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:41 am 

3129050, vinylfanat, and all the other names I think this guy goes by. Since my last post I received 3 tapes from him that were very poor. Bad tape bad copies. I have stopped ordering from him. Would be interested if you have any info on "hardbluesgarden".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:46 am 

otnot2 wrote:
Does anybody have any information that can verify the authenticity of the Russian reel to reel tape copies that claim to be recording studio master tapes?

Just as a follow up for anyone who has read this or reads it in the future. I ordered a few of these tapes as a trial. They were satisfactory in the beginning. after I ordered a very few more the quality became worse and worse and the tapes were unusable. This is in spite of the info in the ratings. ALERT!!! The guy who is doing these goes by many different eBay names. Everybody listed as Russian Federation or Ukraine is the same guy. I would like to get info on the tapes that claim to be Canadian CBC. There are a couple of guys selling these. Anybody have a heads up?