US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:34 am 

hifijones wrote:
Tandberg 3012A integrated amp. The best amp that I've owned that can be had for under $500.00, although the price on the pre-owned market has risen steadily since I sold mine 5 years ago. A MOSFET design that's heavily biased into Class A and is capable of driving difficult speaker loads. A real gem.

I had the privilege of owning a TANDBERG 3016 amp....220w/8ohm....400w/4phm....the CHAMP is power authority, sweetness. I miss it ( sold it when relocating to avoid having to lift it...60+lbs!! )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:37 pm 

45 years as an audio file and I would say the most recent example would have been a few years ago when I purchased from the great George Merrill his AR replica turntable. I think the appropriate designation is a Merrill ES-R1. I opted for the digital motor drive along with the dust cover. The greatest value in a turntable I have seen in many many years. Incidentally, I also owned for many years the AR turntable which was Circa 1984. Not the original one from the 60s but the one that they came out with just as CDs were starting to really tread rapidly in its quest to replace all that great music on vinyl.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:00 pm 

audioquest dragonfly black

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:49 am 

Great post! I grew up in the hi-fi industry in the 60's and onward. I have owned so much gear I forgot about a lot of it. But the two purchases that stand out in my mind are:

Oppo UDP-205 digital player (plays everything and sounds terrific, and I'm a vinyl guy first).

Vandersteen speakers. I have been through over twenty five (25) speakers or more, and the Vandersteen, set up properly, delivered the magic!

You frequently hear the saying, "They don't build em' like they used to". I for one am glad. The vintage stuff is fun and cool, but todays technology really delivers!

Keep this post alive! Great memories from my late father's stores and manufacturing!

Bennett

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:40 am 

I recently had the oddest cable experience. I won't mention the brand, (I have several systems), but after using it for well over a year, I realized it had sort of an annoying hazy coloration & veiling compared to another cable I had been using. To be sure I cabled one channel with the old cable and the opposite channel with the new cable. It made it more obvious than ever.My sound on the one side had the continuous & consistent coloration I thought I detected. Recognizing this coloration turned into annoyance and then downright not being able to stand it, after unknowingly living with this cables coloration for well over a year. It took living with something else a few days to identify it. Which makes a joke out of those that walk into an audio store, audition some cables for a half hour & walk out because they think there was no difference. You really do have to "live" with something, and sometimes it takes a long time for its true character to assert itself & to recognize that it has a wart.
There is a cable that is advertised for sale on ebay on a consistent basis. It is called Better Cables and it sounds like its adding no coloration to the sound (a really good thing), and its not very expensive. If you are in the market for really good speaker cables, (I haven't tried the interconnect, but I'd guess its good too), I'd say give it a try. It would be a shame if such a good reasonably priced product goes by the wayside. I have owned lots of speaker cables in my day and the Better Cables brand of cables sounds like it is virtually immune from distortion or undesirable hifi-ish artifacts.Its not a splash and dash kind of cable, but rather its honest and sounds like it has the harmonics of instruments captured very naturally.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:03 am 

Best performance for the $’s:
I had (really sorry I let it go) was a pcX modded Music Hall 25.2 CD player. Picked it up local(Portland at the time) for $260. Man, that player sounded so sweet, I then contacted pcX on any additional and upgrade availability with the player. And purchased a pair of DEXA (I think they were op amps), on sale st the time for about $40 each and those took the sound to another level. The closest I have come to that articulate sound was a Primare CD32, at about 1/4 the cost, the Music Hall was pretty amazing.
The hunt continues...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:05 pm 

I purchased a pair of Tekton Impact loudspeakers having never heard the line. These humble little wonders caused the Magnepan3.5R’s which I had loved for 20years to stay parked in the corners ever since. Astoundingly real sound!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:14 am 

zkidd wrote:
Shiit Audio Mani. A pretty amazing phono preamp for its price point - I had to spend about 8x the Mani's original price to better its performance.

Roger that! I have one now,it bested a Threshold FET 10/pc I was using.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:38 am 

Now that the foundation of my basic components (Counterpoint NPS amp, Aerial 7B, Oppo 205) have reached a certain level of competence .. the tweaks have made the dollar for dollar biggest improvement.
(from lowest dollar to highest dollar:)
1) Bedini Clarifier for CD - +/- $200- .. mind blowing, lost or minimized instrumental staging came in focus B4 vs after
2) Audio Fidelity MC.05 AC plug in $250-ish .. wider stage, more depth on an already great stage!
3) Lest I forget .. DITCH the brass connector on your BiAmp speaker connection. I was 1 st blown away w/the diff a pair of AntiCable level 1 ($50-??) jumpers made when used on several diff speakers. After purchasing/comparing 3 more beer budget (75-to $150-) options, I purchased on faith the AntiCable Reference pair for around $200- good improvement for me that matches my speaker cable performance.
4) Bionic cables (XLR interconnect) $1000-ish .. maybe considered integral to a basic system, but as an upgrade to AQ Emeralds .. BLOW OUT! An outgrowth of Duane Randleman vast experience in the industry.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:15 am 

The Marantz Reference Gear has always made my jaw drop, sonics, built quality and value. You may beat them but it will cost you more than most of us can afford.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:25 am 

Audioengine B1. Did not expect such high quality sound could be streamed from bluetooth.