US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:48 am 

Hello Audio Mart'ers,
I could use your help, advice, experience, recommendations and such what would be a good choice for a new cartridge and stylus to use with a Technics SL-1200mkII turntable devoted to home audio listening purpose only and primarily for music genres: heavy metal, death metal, rock, techno, drum and bass, ambient, trance, gabber, and other high bpm styles of music. My budget is $360 or less for the stylus and cartridge, not including a headshell.
Currently use or have used: Stanton D680ELII blue stylus, Stanton D6800EL white stylus- on a Stanton black 680-II cartridge; Shure M144-7 cartridge/stylus, Ortofon Track-master?(20 years old). While all these are decent, my musical tastes have matured and I would like something better, audiophile possibly, but something that is detailed and can handle the deep bass and fast tempo of my electronica records and grindcore/ speed metal records from the 80's and 90's. (Also maybe a second cartridge for quadraphonic records. I'm old school. I still play cassettes and 8-tracks daily)
My system(s) are primarily vintage silver and black faced mid/hi-fi from 1972-2001. Dam audio addiction!
I'm NOT interested in deejay carts/stylus or cheap entry level products. I don't plan on playing records backwards trying to find the devil or playing poor condition thrift store finds. I use my other turntable for that.

Please help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:52 pm 

If you're trying to stay vintage, see if you can find a Shure V15III, then order an Ed Saunders stylus for it.

If you want new production then my recommendations in order would be:

Audio Technica AT150MLX
Ortofon 2M Blue
Shure M97xE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:29 am 

I can highly recommend a DENON DL-110; I have mine mounted on a Direct Drive Stanton ST150 with exceptional results playing through my main reference system. On my secondary system I use the same TT, but with a Shure M97xE connected to my Denon AVR5700; also very good results from a relative standpoint. Obviously not as high resolution as the DL-110, but the DL-110 is at least 3 times the price of the M97xE. Well worth it though given your budget.

My musical tastes include some of the genres you list and IMHO as well as my experience, direct drive TT's with a decent cartridge like the one I recommend performs very well. DD TT's have an uncanny way of rendering bass very accurately, which is why I abandoned the belt drive. I was never satisfied with the bass in a belt drive TT. Once I took the plunge on DD with a very good cartridge, there was no turning back - the bass was as I have always craved from my memory of vintage systems that did it very well. It seems DD TT's too seem very underrated in the audiophile community.

Enjoy the Music!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:00 am 

I too enjoy the SL1200 II; actually two of these, one NOS I found a couple of years ago and one used that I refurbished with a new factory arm; both are superb high end tables for non-DJ playback! Highly recommended MM carts that I enjoy on them are the Shure M97xE, Stanton 500EE mkII, Shure V15 type IV, Grado Reference Sonata, Ortofon 2M Black and AT440 mla (now mlb). All are great sounding carts on the 1200.

For deep bass, the Shure M97xE is hard to beat (no pun intended) :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:38 pm 

I have a SL1200Mk2 and use a Dynavector 10x5, and it sounds awesome. I got the Soundsmith re-tip with the ruby cantilever and it took it up another notch. While I was waiting for the re-tip, I ran a Denon DL110 and it sounded awesome as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:38 pm 

Nagaoka mp 110

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:29 am 

I have the SL1200 and I had the Ortofon 2M Blue with it, and it was very good I but later switched to the Denon DL103 and to my ears it was a better match.
Seems like the D103 was more balanced from top to bottom whereas I'd say the 2M favored the top end a bit. Most noticeable on poorer older recordings than well recorded pressings.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:54 am 

I would second the Denon 103

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:43 pm 

One other cart that you should check out, is the Shelter 201. I've used those, and they're extremely good. Better than the Ortofon 2M Blue, almost as good as a 2M Bronze. Very quick transient response with nice bass. Great imaging too. Look to be retailing for just over $300 these days.

I'd likely be using a 201 at home, if it wasn't for the Ortofon 540MKII that I fell in love with. It's the older version of what now is the 2M Black, in essence... it was the TOTL MM Ortofon of its time.

Regards,
Gordon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:12 pm 

MrAudio wrote:
If you're trying to stay vintage, see if you can find a Shure V15III, then order an Ed Saunders stylus for it.

If you want new production then my recommendations in order would be:

Audio Technica AT150MLX
Ortofon 2M Blue
Shure M97xE

I don't know about Ed Sanders but the original MkIII was much too high in compliance for just about any tonearm. I had one.

The modern suggestions are fine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:14 pm 

Nagaoka mp110 or mp200

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:22 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Any of th Hana are good