US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:16 am 

Some nice variations being discussed.

Rob's PoE:
They really do take things up a notch in terms of bass extension and noise removal. I am letting them bed in before I write more.

M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:14 am 

Hi Rob

My Dual cat 8 port arrived and over the weekend I tried it out with U green 1.5metre cables on the - and + which I had spare. Amazing impact already!

I am using them to power a little SD card player I’ve been playing around with which is an incredible find.

My wife exclaimed what happened to the bass! Also the sound is cleaner and more dynamic. How can this be. What a great find - many thanks.

Now I’m going to order some AQ forests.

Cheers P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:45 pm 

I couldn't afford individual Cinnamon cables so bought an 8 metre Cinn, cable, cut off the two plugs and then cut it into 6 pcs @ around 1.3m each to make up 3 PoE cables with Cinn. cables on the v+ and v-.
Stripped and twisted the wires together at the ends (for each cable) and soldered these to my plugs.

At one end I have two Cinn. cables going into a large jaeger plug that fits directly into my power supply (easy) and the other ends are soldered to a dc plug (not so easy :) ). For the dc plug, I had to leave a couple of inches of the quad canare cable already attached to the plug and solder the Cinn cables to the quad wires.
A lot more work that Rob's design but didn't have a choice as I wanted to use the Cinn. cables and funds were short. I don't have the option for cable swapping but this doesn't worry me as the SQ is superb; considerably better than the single Ugreen PoE I was using before.
I'll try these for a while and then fit some ferrites to see if these make a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:56 am 

Mr Underhill wrote:
Some nice variations being discussed.

Rob's PoE:
They really do take things up a notch in terms of bass extension and noise removal. I am letting them bed in before I write more.

M
Hi M, Hope you like the SQ improvements.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:01 am 

tapatrick wrote:
Hi Rob

My Dual cat 8 port arrived and over the weekend I tried it out with U green 1.5metre cables on the - and + which I had spare. Amazing impact already!

I am using them to power a little SD card player I’ve been playing around with which is an incredible find.

My wife exclaimed what happened to the bass! Also the sound is cleaner and more dynamic. How can this be. What a great find - many thanks.

Cheers P

Good to see you like the SQ improvements. I'm finding as I simplify my USB chain - that many of these other USB enhancement gizmo's are really not needed now with the PoE DC in the power chain. It now appears to me that the DC power leg is the most critical part of top USB source chain.

Just a F-1 and a decent split USB cable and PoE DC.3.1 is really all one needs to get really excellent results. I do like the iPur2 and look forward to trying the iPur3, other then that not much else needed for truly extraordinary SQ.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:29 am 

I have been using my dual PoE for the last couple of weeks.

Using the AQ 1.5m Pearl x2 in place of the Ibra was a nice step up. Using the AQ Pearl for + and - lead to a WOW ......but, although the bass was AMAZING, and a wealth of detail was revealed, I found that along side this came a level of subtle noise that effected the vocals.

I added two ferrites per AQ, but this returned me to more or less where I was with AQ x2, but slightly less relaxed.

I started swapping cables, including AQ x 2 +ve with Ibra x2 OR 3m flat Ugreen on -ve. This was on a par with the 2 x AQ, with a bit more detail but a tad less relaxed.

Finally I returned to using the AQ Pearl for + and -, but used a ferrite on the exit of each AQ. This gives me the best sound I have had from my system. The WOW of no ferrites isn't quiet as great, but the relaxation is fully there allied to better bass and detail.

A few weeks I tried a Cut Loose cable in my system as a spdif. This cable costs £1,600, and clearly improved the bass and top end. This PoE step is every bit as good, for a FRACTION of the cost.

I didn't find this a simple and straightforward step, so if you try it then ring some changes - well worth the time and effort.

Excellent, thx Bob,

M

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:57 am 

Tubelover2 wrote:
tapatrick wrote:
Hi Rob

Cheers P

Good to see you like the SQ improvements. I'm finding as I simplify my USB chain - that many of these other USB enhancement gizmo's are really not needed now with the PoE DC in the power chain. It now appears to me that the DC power leg is the most critical part of top USB source chain.

Just a F-1 and a decent split USB cable and PoE DC.3.1 is really all one needs to get really excellent results. I do like the iPur2 and look forward to trying the iPur3, other then that not much else needed for truly extraordinary SQ.

Cheers

Rob, are you still using your USB HUB?
I'm still looking for one HUB that can be connected with USB adapter to Icron and which use 5V external power.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:28 am 

Mr Underhill wrote:
I have been using my dual PoE for the last couple of weeks.

Using the AQ 1.5m Pearl x2 in place of the Ibra was a nice step up. Using the AQ Pearl for + and - lead to a WOW ......but, although the bass was AMAZING, and a wealth of detail was revealed, I found that along side this came a level of subtle noise that effected the vocals.

I added two ferrites per AQ, but this returned me to more or less where I was with AQ x2, but slightly less relaxed.

I started swapping cables, including AQ x 2 +ve with Ibra x2 OR 3m flat Ugreen on -ve. This was on a par with the 2 x AQ, with a bit more detail but a tad less relaxed.

Finally I returned to using the AQ Pearl for + and -, but used a ferrite on the exit of each AQ. This gives me the best sound I have had from my system. The WOW of no ferrites isn't quiet as great, but the relaxation is fully there allied to better bass and detail.

A few weeks I tried a Cut Loose cable in my system as a spdif. This cable costs £1,600, and clearly improved the bass and top end. This PoE step is every bit as good, for a FRACTION of the cost.

I didn't find this a simple and straightforward step, so if you try it then ring some changes - well worth the time and effort.

Excellent, thx Bob,

M
Hi M, Thanks for the post. Glad to see you fine tuned the PoE DUAL CAT to your liking. Either the Forest and especially the Cin AQ cable should give you another step-up in SQ. Like you I found using a ferrite choke on each end was optimal - in my case the rest of the 1.5M Cin covered in tinned copper braid shielding.

As I've been saying for a while having the ability to switch the cables on the v+ and v- is a major feature of using the DUAL CAT PoE injectors vs just a dual cable wired to those screw down DC connectors. Easy cable swapping during a focused listening session - done in seconds - really helps to evaluate in your particular system the best cables balancing warmth, detail, bass, clarity and imaging.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:34 am 

sima66 wrote:
Rob, are you still using your USB HUB?
I'm still looking for one HUB that can be connected with USB adapter to Icron and which use 5V external power.
Yes - using this USB 3.0 Hub in both office and main system. In the main the USB hub is powered by a dual series (7VDC>5VDC) Lt3045 box to DUAL CAT PoE DC.3.1 (using a Ghent shielded CAT 6 cable on v+ IBRA on v-)data by way of a AQ Carbon USB 3.0 cable. Running music files from a SLC mSD.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-7-Port-USB-3 ... 4d6b5c0932

#6 Black 7 port USB hubwith external power port.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:29 am 

Thanks Rob!
Any reason for that specific HUB, or just because you already had the AQ Carbon USB 3.0 cable?
I'm afraid that those lights and on/off switches may affect the sound........or I'm wrong?!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:11 am 

sima66 wrote:
Thanks Rob!
Any reason for that specific HUB, or just because you already had the AQ Carbon USB 3.0 cable?
I'm afraid that those lights and on/off switches may affect the sound........or I'm wrong?!
Well that hub had an ext DC port and an ext USB cable port - not easy to find in a USB 3.0 hub. And it's relatively inexpensive. I bought the AQ carbon micro USB 3.0 specifically for it. I had a Forest and it was pretty good, just not as good as the Carbon.

The ext power port allows for using the almightly (and boy do these make a difference!) PoE DUAL CAT to LT3045 series DC chain. At the PC USB end I use a modded JB to VBUS blocker as well, as the Startech is no longer in my main system.

The switches are a good thing - they allow disabling all un-used ports. I suppose you could cut the board traces to the LED's if you wanted to, I haven't.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:27 am 

Tubelover2 wrote:
sima66 wrote:
Thanks Rob!
Well that hub had an ext DC port and an ext USB cable port - not easy to find in a USB 3.0 hub. And it's relatively inexpensive. I bought the AQ carbon micro USB 3.0 specifically for it. I had a Forest and it was pretty good, just not as good as the Carbon.

The ext power port allows for using the almightly (and boy do these make a difference!) PoE DUAL CAT to LT3045 series DC chain. At the PC USB end I use a modded JB to VBUS blocker as well, as the Startech is no longer in my main system.

The switches are a good thing - they allow disabling all un-used ports. I suppose you could cut the board traces to the LED's if you wanted to, I haven't.

Cheers

Thanks again Rob, but is it necessary for music playback to have USB 3.0 over 2.0?
Will USB 3.0 sound better?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:14 am 

sima66 wrote:
Tubelover2 wrote:
sima66 wrote:
Thanks Rob!

Cheers

Thanks again Rob, but is it necessary for music playback to have USB 3.0 over 2.0?
Will USB 3.0 sound better?
I have both hubs and like the SQ from the 3.0 better

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:46 am 

Thank Rob......that's what I wanted to hear! ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:34 pm 

Tubelover2 wrote:
Cheers

:shock: so, the Startech is no further in need, since the PoE DC ??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next