US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:38 am 

Fredoo wrote:
albrecht wrote:

Hi, I have not heard of an F-1 Pro. Do you have a link?

Hi, its mentioned in this topic, when you search for “F-1 Pro” and “9v” you’ll find it.
Cheers, Fred

Edit, here it is: viewtopic.php?p=6561#p6561

thank you!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:22 am 

Empire_City_Denizen wrote:
Tubelover2 wrote:
Empire_City_Denizen wrote:
Here's a picture of the F-1 with it's metal case off, you can see the illuminated blue light next to the USB input jack but no other light on.
I 've zero issues with mine, now in daily use for years. But the fix looks pretty simple just replace the USB socket.

Good luck

Thanks, Rob -- last night I emailed with the vendor, Kitsune, who was very responsive and offered to fix or replace it. So I shipped it back to them and will see how things turn out. They seemed to think it was likely the same thing you did, a loose connection with the USB jack.

A quick update on this -- Kitsune was very helpful, and had me ship the F-1 back to them for repair. They said they replaced the board and sent it back to me. The repaired F-1 arrived yesterday, and it now works perfectly.

So now, after being distracted by other things for most of this year and not paying attention to where things are with this thread, I'm just catching up and reading about the POE concept. I'm hoping to order the parts shortly to get up to the DC 2.0 level.

I currently have 4 different device chains that are powered by DC from LPSs -- (1) REX, (2) LEX, (3) Hub, and (4) Recovery / iDefender / Singxer F-1. Each device chain is powered from an LPS through Ghent DC cables and dual in series LT3045 boxes. Would it make sense for me to get 4 sets of the single port injectors for this, so that each of these device chains has the benefit of the POE? I'll also need to decide what ethernet cables to get and what short male to male star quad power cables to run from the second injectors to the devices being powered. Ghent makes great star quad cables that would seem to be a good fit for this, but they can also take a long time to ship to the US.

And I have LT3045s between the LPSs and each device being powered. Does it make sense to put the POE injectors before or after the LT3045?

Thanks so much, looking forward to trying this latest improvement.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:24 am 

Picked up a used Project DAC Box S2 here on USAM (love this place!) for the insane price of $79 shipped!
Attachment:
proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg [ 24.32 KiB | Viewed 537 times ]

So my first taste of the new gen ESS9038 DAC family - even though this is the 'baby' version ESS9038Q2M and uses just one.

But the design is quite brilliant - featuring proprietary 100 femto second clocks
Attachment:
lll.jpg
lll.jpg [ 71.85 KiB | Viewed 537 times ]

And best of all externally powered - with a DC port if running on the SPDIF RCA port.
And USB powered if that is hooked up - 5V@500mA. Here again is where the split 2G USB cable comes in handy.
Of course I will ditch the SMPS and use my wonderful DCS 3.1/LT3045 dual series for power. :mrgreen:

On USB can handle up to 384kHz/32bit - and 256 DSD
On the Coax 192k/DSD256.

The design and layout of this DAC are exemplary - as reported by Amir on ASR of it's bigger brother Project Pre Box S2 Digital which uses two ESS9038Q2M chips vs one and can do MQA as well as 512DSD - and has a decent HP amp.
Attachment:
index.jpg
index.jpg [ 12.14 KiB | Viewed 537 times ]

Being a true R2R DAC lover this will be an interesting test. If I like the SQ of these new Gen ESS DAC's will probably go for the bigger brother since it has separate DACs for each channel.

Other neat features on both Project DAC's - five user selectable filters including their proprietary optimum transient digital filter.

Excellent review on ASR and board take down:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... -dac.2393/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... ital.2370/

Amir has been bench testing a whole crop of cheap Chinese ESS9038Q2M andESS9038PRO DAC's in the $250 to $300 price range.
Most crush the Yggy on the test bench ( but I doubt in the listening chair).

A great time to be an audiophile

Cheers!

Last edited by Tubelover2 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Coax
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:44 am 

Back from a two week break in Paris, what a stupendous city.

When I got back I was less than happy with my system, I then remembered I had swapped out my copper coax festooned with Ferrites for an alternative ....swapping back and sanity was restored.

I decided to recheck the widget chain, as a few things had changed, to ensure I wasn't overly complicating things .....nope, Chain = uR [R-Core 8V 6A LPSU * >> 2 x (PoE >> 7V1 1A LT3045)] > PCUSB [Power thru ON] > Iso Regen [R-Core DC30W 2A LPSU >> 7V2 1A LT3045 >> PoE >>5V 0.5A LT3045] > IFI Idefender [No power] > IFI Mercury 3.0 > VBus2 > Adapter > USB B power injector [R-Core 8V 6A LPSU * >> DC3.1 PoE >> 5V 0.5A LT3045] > IFI iPurifier 2 > SingXer F1 is still the best.

However, I had been mightily impressed by the Cut Loose silver extruded Palladium covered cable that sells for stupid money, and then I saw this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nimak-Pulsar-Mk2-audio-digital-pure-soft-silver-hi-end-RCA-cable-SPDIF-COAX-1-5m/123362352290?hash=item1cb8f81ca2:g:vFEAAOSwGotWtIom

Bought for $120. Arrived a couple of days ago, and been rather impressed. The new cable is a revelation. From my memory of the CL I don't think it quiet plumbs the depths of that, but I think it has a sweeter top end. I couldn't stop listening to my system yesterday, and when I started an album I was obliged to finish it, just couldn't drag myself away.

When I bought the cable I had half a mind that I was in the process if being rooked .....wrong.

This cable is a bargain; and I now have a pile of unused ferrites.

M

Post subject: Re: Coax
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:35 am 

Mr Underhill wrote:
Back from a two week break in Paris, what a stupendous city.

When I got back I was less than happy with my system, I then remembered I had swapped out my copper coax festooned with Ferrites for an alternative ....swapping back and sanity was restored.

I decided to recheck the widget chain, as a few things had changed, to ensure I wasn't overly complicating things .....nope, Chain = uR [R-Core 8V 6A LPSU * >> 2 x (PoE >> 7V1 1A LT3045)] > PCUSB [Power thru ON] > Iso Regen [R-Core DC30W 2A LPSU >> 7V2 1A LT3045 >> PoE >>5V 0.5A LT3045] > IFI Idefender [No power] > IFI Mercury 3.0 > VBus2 > Adapter > USB B power injector [R-Core 8V 6A LPSU * >> DC3.1 PoE >> 5V 0.5A LT3045] > IFI iPurifier 2 > SingXer F1 is still the best.

However, I had been mightily impressed by the Cut Loose silver extruded Palladium covered cable that sells for stupid money, and then I saw this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nimak-Pulsar-Mk2-audio-digital-pure-soft-silver-hi-end-RCA-cable-SPDIF-COAX-1-5m/123362352290?hash=item1cb8f81ca2:g:vFEAAOSwGotWtIom

Bought for $120. Arrived a couple of days ago, and been rather impressed. The new cable is a revelation. From my memory of the CL I don't think it quiet plumbs the depths of that, but I think it has a sweeter top end. I couldn't stop listening to my system yesterday, and when I started an album I was obliged to finish it, just couldn't drag myself away.

When I bought the cable I had half a mind that I was in the process if being rooked .....wrong.

This cable is a bargain; and I now have a pile of unused ferrites.

M
Hi M, Great find on the digital cable - will have to try one!

How do you rate the DUAL CAT PoE?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:03 am 

As a follow up on the Project S2+ DAC - not a bad sounding little unit. Unfortunately my wimpy LT1083 LPS did not have enough juice to power it, either alone or with the LKS USB-100.

But as a back up I have a 16000Mh LiPo - that sounds great powering the Project. Still not an R2R - but these new gen ESS 9038's are the best D-S DAC's I have heard yet.

The S2+ works as advertised by USB - feeding it 256DSD and DxD 352k PCM files downloaded from the 2L website. All worked as advertised and sound excellent. Unfortunately the Project DAC's implementation of the XMOS USB are not compatible with the Startech (or any hub as they state in the manual). So being I do not have many super high res DSD or DxD files - I preferred the LKS UBS feeding the S2 by way of of spdif coax. Upsampling in Foobar Redbook to 192K - working without a hitch. Startech doing yeoman's work.

Now the S2 DAC's have a great feature - the choice of 5 filters (the Pre DAC has 6 including MQA).
Here are the choices:

1.Optimal Transient Proprietary
2.Fast Roll-off (Linear phase)
3.Slow Roll-off (Linear phase)
4.Minimum Phase Slow
5.Linear Apodizing

They all truly sound different - so far I like the #4 Minimum Phase Slow best. And what is cool they all respond differently to the Foobar aliasing and ditheriing setting. Some very sensitive to them.
Allows for lots of comparisons.

The bigger brother Pre S2 has two 9038Q2M vs one so can decode 512DSD (DoP) - too bad about the incompatibility with the Startech.
It also has 8 filters! And a decent HP amp. Won a prestigious ESIA award.
Same proprietary 100 femto clocking circuit, Organic polymer capacitors and thin film miniMELF resistors, the difference the Pre S2 has of course an amplifier circuit in it's small case in addition to the digital circuits. They do a very good job of building an isolation wall between the two.

Cheers!

Last edited by Tubelover2 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:34 pm 

Hi Bob,

Thought I had posted my thoughts. I did a re-run with a friend before going off with a friend who has a good pair of ears - NOT that you need them with DC3.1, it is simply better.

The new coax has revealed a ton of detail and positional information that my previous cable was hiding, as well as high end hash. My whole system is firing on all cylinders!

Thx,

M

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:31 am 

Mr Underhill wrote:
Hi Bob,

Thought I had posted my thoughts. I did a re-run with a friend before going off with a friend who has a good pair of ears - NOT that you need them with DC3.1, it is simply better.

The new coax has revealed a ton of detail and positional information that my previous cable was hiding, as well as high end hash. My whole system is firing on all cylinders!

Thx,

M
Thanks - what was your previous digital cable? The Audio Sens Silver Statement?

BTW Love Paris as well - back a couple of years ago had spent a week there - la cuisine est fantastique!
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:37 am 

Update on the Project Box S2+ DAC - until some higher output LPS and LT3045 arrive I ran my LiPo 18000mAh into the S2+ - nice improvement in the SQ.

The good thing about the mobile version of the 9038Q2M is it's low current draw - so making it easier to externally power. My next experiment try a DCS in between the battery and the DAC.

As a side note check out Amir's review of the LG G7 phone - loaded with a Quad of E9218P's - the bench specs where pretty amazing!
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... hone.4468/

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:38 am 

Rumors of a new DDC from Gustard called the U16 supposedly running a new USB chipset from ESS. This is the first I've heard of an ESS USB solution.

Again Amir's ASR the first to post pictures
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/in ... face.3731/

Photo of the U16 - Sweet Accusilicon clocks!
Attachment:
Screenshot_2018-07-16-05-30-39.jpg
Screenshot_2018-07-16-05-30-39.jpg [ 493.75 KiB | Viewed 428 times ]

I see a USB port, two BNC's, a Coax SPDIF, HDMI i2s, AES/EBU and ext DC power port.
Wow a long way from the U12 I opened the first thread about on HF four years ago
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gustard ... 4/page-186

Again CA is no where to be seen on this major computer audio development. The talk is this new ESS USB chip is a XMOS killer.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:15 am 

Looks like HDPlex is finally biting the bullet on the those ancient crappy LT1083 LDO they used in their expensive 200W - NEW LPS will use LT3045's! :mrgreen: Hurray!
Going from 180uv to 0.8uv of noise! And massive PSRR from virtually nothing.

With two rails and other high quality components this looks like a decent LPS choice - but still expensive. $485 and out of stock
Quote:
Linear Technology LT30451

The LT3045 family is a high performance low dropout linear regulator featuring LTC’s ultralow noise and ultrahigh PSRR architecture for powering noise sensitive applications from Linear Technology. HDPLEX use four LT30451 in parallel for each adjustable rail to achieve 2A and further reduce ripple noise below 1mv. Eight LT30451 chips are used for two identical and independent adjustable rail.

Attachment:
200W.LT3045.jpg
200W.LT3045.jpg [ 343.85 KiB | Viewed 454 times ]

Attachment:
200W.LPSU.Back.jpg
200W.LPSU.Back.jpg [ 158.16 KiB | Viewed 454 times ]

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-2 ... evice.html

The funny part is they show a lab measurement of the output and a large voltage sag! 5VDC@2A sags to 4.78VDC! :lol:
Not good! 12VDC @2A sags to 11.56V! No independent voltage adjustment like on the DC-30W where this kind of sag could adjusted for - or better run a much higher voltage into and external board with mulitple LT3045's set for a specific voltage.

Better and much cheaper solution exist - but at least they joined the LT3045 club.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:19 am 

Interesting review of the Project Pre Box S2 Digital:
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/i ... ost-193770

Quote:
The ESS “Sabre Factor”:

Outside some ridiculously over-built ESS 9018-based units (e.g. things like the Merging NADAC) the Pre Box S2 Digital is one of the rare ESS-based unit (in my experience) that doesn’t immediately shout SABRE!!!! Well, to me at least. Whether this is down to the 9038 chipset itself, or the filters (with their attendant HF roll-off) being applied I cannot say.

The treble lacks the sense of artificial detail I’ve experienced with even some of the more serious ESS units (e.g. Auralic Vega) and the fatigue that tends to ensue with prolonged listening to same is absent here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:48 am 

Tubelover2 wrote:
Rumors of a new DDC from Gustard called the U16 supposedly running a new USB chipset from ESS. This is the first I've heard of an ESS USB solution.

Attachment:
Screenshot_2018-07-16-05-30-39.jpg

I see a USB port, two BNC's, a Coax SPDIF, HDMI i2s, AES/EBU and ext DC power port.
Wow a long way from the U12 I opened the first thread about on HF four years ago

Again CA is no where to be seen on this major computer audio development. The talk is this new ESS USB chip is a XMOS killer.

Cheers

Here's more information (please use Google Translate) for those interested: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a2 ... =13#detail

Joel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:17 am 

joelha wrote:
Tubelover2 wrote:

Attachment:
The attachment Screenshot_2018-07-16-05-30-39.jpg is no longer available

Cheers

Here's more information (please use Google Translate) for those interested: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a2 ... =13#detail

Joel
I want one!

Alibaba? Couldn't find one there or Ebay. But that will come soon.

Translation:
Quote:
Gossett and ESS have always had a good cooperative relationship. It is also the first company in the country to apply ES90X8 series DAC chips
. Several audio DAC products based on ES90X8 series chips developed before and after have also been recognized by ESS.
Ess develops the information of the usb audio solution, and Costa is also the first time to understand, and actively promote cooperative development, so the first launch of related products.
U16 is a USB digital audio interface product born under the strong support of ESS company. Its development process lasted nearly two years.

Quote:
Supports up to PCM 32bit/768KHz and DSD512, and supports both DoP and Native DSD.

ESS's USB interface chip design is a completely optimized architecture for high-quality digital audio signal processing. It is not a general-purpose chip with USB digital audio interface code, so it has immediate impact on sound quality improvement

Attachment:
O1CN012AVJMn2TxoHt6Nl_!!125808208 (1).jpg
O1CN012AVJMn2TxoHt6Nl_!!125808208 (1).jpg [ 358.82 KiB | Viewed 395 times ]

Quote:
A 128MB SDRAM is used as the system buffer and digital audio processing FIFO. Most of the space is used for internal scheduling of the USB interface master IC, and the redundant space is reserved as much as possible to ensure that other business logic operations other than the USB audio interface function in the main control IC do not interfere with the digital audio processing flow.

For optimal digital audio performance, digital audio processing FIFO capacity is reduced to a minimum to ensure minimum latency and jitter performance;

Attachment:
O1CN012AVJMmGGvcSPIeI_!!125808208.jpg
O1CN012AVJMmGGvcSPIeI_!!125808208.jpg [ 287.02 KiB | Viewed 395 times ]

Quote:
In order to ensure the highest quality digital audio signal and the lowest clock jitter performance, the machine uses up to three FPGAs to implement USB audio interface clock management and external 10M clock part of the audio clock frequency synthesizer, all using independent power supply to avoid FPGA Internal wiring interferes with each other;

Quote:
In the USB audio interface part, an FPGA is used to implement the USB audio interface master IC running in the Slave mode.

That is, the USB interface main control IC receives the audio clock signal generated by the clock management FPGA and outputs only the digital audio data signal, thereby minimizing the digital signal interference introduced by the USB transmission link;

Attachment:
O1CN012AVJMmerHmxFn8s_!!125808208.jpg
O1CN012AVJMmerHmxFn8s_!!125808208.jpg [ 416.85 KiB | Viewed 395 times ]

Quote:
The audio clock synthesizing circuit of the external 10M clock part uses two FPGA main clock frequency synthesizers corresponding to the 44.1KHz and 48KHz fundamental frequencies respectively, which avoids the crosstalk of the internal wiring of the FPGA on the one hand, and also drains the FPGA chip on the other hand. The related resources, the frequency accuracy and jitter performance of the final synthesized audio main clock signal have reached the limit performance level of the current design;

Attachment:
O1CN012AVJMfV1FlStJhL_!!125808208.jpg
O1CN012AVJMfV1FlStJhL_!!125808208.jpg [ 429.96 KiB | Viewed 395 times ]

So it looks like one of the BNC connectors is for an external 10Mhz clock feed - say from a Antelope OXCO, or Rubiidum Atomic clock. Very nice!

Quote:
The local audio clock source uses a dual femtosecond clock. This unit uses two US ACCUSILICON AS318-B ultra low phase noise crystals as the local audio clock source, RMS jitter as low as 88 femtoseconds (10Hz-1MHz); built-in audio dedicated toroidal transformer
88 Femto Accusilicon clocks and as I have posted before the AS318-B has the lowest phase noise of any TXCO - competitive with OXCO levels,
Attachment:
O1CN012AVJMkYtyjjZjyL_!!125808208.jpg
O1CN012AVJMkYtyjjZjyL_!!125808208.jpg [ 272.22 KiB | Viewed 395 times ]

Very Sweet!
Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:48 am 

Tubelover2 wrote:
joelha wrote:
Tubelover2 wrote:

Cheers

Joel
I want one!

Attachment:
O1CN012AVJMkYtyjjZjyL_!!125808208.jpg

Very Sweet!
Cheers

Whoa... very interesting stuff. I love how the denizons of the Internets, (making judgements about things that they don't know about), have already posted negative comments about something that hasn't even hit the market yet. Probably, - some of those wankers haven't even heard an F-1!!!
I know, OTOH, that I can trust that you will give it a very thorough test.
The Matrix 2, (on paper), was supposed to be an F-1 killer. And although that box certainly was a soundstaging and detail monster for me: i found that it did not deliver on the "right" mid-range tonal character.
I must say that I was grateful for the opportunity to run back to back to back tests, (the only way to truly know anything), comparing my APL DDC from 2003, a HiFace IF, the F-1, and the Matrix2.
Thanks so much for reporting on this, - this will put the brakes on any F-1 replacement until its release.

Cheers,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next