US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:09 pm 

I'll second the Sennheiser HD 600, 650 range

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:04 pm 

Like so many other forum threads here on USAM, the OP asked for help...and was never heard from again. Couldn't even take the time to tell us what he bought.
Yeesh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:53 pm 

hifijones wrote:
Like so many other forum threads here on USAM, the OP asked for help...and was never heard from again. Couldn't even take the time to tell us what he bought.
Yeesh.

And 4 years later he's still getting advice. Man, I wish people would pay attention to the OP date on these recommendation threads.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:26 pm 

timrhu wrote:
And 4 years later he's still getting advice. Man, I wish people would pay attention to the OP date on these recommendation threads.

+1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:42 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I have used many different headphones and they are all different in comfort and sound.
Most important questions are:
Do you want open or closed back?
Do you want a very neutral sound, warm or bass heavier?
Do they have to be portable?
New or used?

All those things are very personal and advice with people saying 'I like these best' are useless to you, because picking headphones is very personal.

If you want to contact me directly to discuss, please send me a private message.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:07 am 

Sennheiser HD 6XX &/or HD 58X Jubilee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:08 am 

I have had many headphones throughout the years. I have been lucky, in that I've never made a bad choice; thanks to good advice from intelligent people. First of all you should decide if you want a closed back or an open back headphone. The open back headphones are way more open sounding generally & the sound is more free and "outside" your head, closer to speakers than closed back designs. Their open sound would lend itself well to classical music, as its easier to pick out all those sounds with "more space" between the instruments and an open back headphone will more likely sound like its unraveling the orchestral sounds to a greater degree.

One of the reasons to choose a closed back design is if you listen in a noisy environment and need isolation. Some of the closed back designs have really great bass. If deciding on closed back, I am going to give you a choice that is cleaner sounding and smoother in the highs than any of the previous headphones mentioned by the others. There is an older model AKG K340 that is superb & a bargain on the used market. They combine a really good dynamic driver with a truly superb electrostatic type driver for the treble. Unlike most headphones using an electret or electrostatic driver, they plug right into your headphone input on your amp. They will need an amp rather than directly to a CD player or tape output, (they need more juice). The K340's sound is unusually clean and pure with fast transients, and phenomenal bass. Its midrange is laid back but still very detailed. Everything is beautifully balanced.The instruments size and the general "size" of the soundfield will be smaller though, than good open back designs. Some people have claimed that the 2 drivers aren't seamless enough working together. Based on decades of using my particular ones; rubbish. They are as integrated, effortless & seamless as can be and I've never heard drivers in a loudspeaker this well matched with such a "oneness" of sound. It can be had on the used market for often around $100. A real dark horse classic. When it was introduced many decades ago, the audio store owner told me "we have never heard anything llike them". For purity & clean they match many current $1,000 headphones. There is an old Hi Fi News & Record Review issue with a numerous group headphone test, where they came out on top. It said "at first you don't realize how clean these headphones are because of their nice warmth".

Speaking of warmth the B&W headphones recommended by several have "lots" of bass. Too much bass and warmth for many of the reviewers and users, according to online reviews I've read and not as detailed as some competitors also. The Beyer 880 and 990 models are very open but Don't expect them to be anywhere near as clean, fast & detailed in the highs as the AKG K340. I should know, I have owned the Beyer 990's along with the AKG for decades. For image size and openness though, its the Beyerdynamics by far, ( they are an open back design).

Grado headphones generally have a reputation for liveliness but also brightness. I only heard a pair once and it made an RCA Living Stereo LP sound detailed and slightly bright, but not irritating or anything. I'm sure they have come out with many models since, over the years; each with their own different personalities. Audio Technica's are generally known as having the "detail comes first" headphone sound. They can sound great or ruthless depending on the quality of the CD/LP etc.they you are playing through them; but again different models can have different characteristics; but that's what they are generally known for. I have seen used Audeze LCD 2 headphones go off on ebay for around your price range. They are an open back design and are more expensive phones (new) by far than your dollar range. They have better overall sound than any of the headphones mentioned by myself or the others. Then last but not least there are the many models of Stax electrostatic headphones which many people consider among the best headphones ever. Amazingly transparent, fast, detailed and clean. Vintage models pop up on the used market well within your price range. They are open back & do require an energizer box which they usually are offered with. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:44 am 

Unless the original poster is named Hank Kimball from Green Acres, he's probably finally made a headphone choice and upgraded a few times by now. I missed the original posting date also. However that doesn't mean that a constructive new discussion on quality headphones can't take its place on this thread. Another option is to forget stereo for awhile and watch some exciting Western reruns on tv like Arnold used to do. Hold the oinks.