US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:22 am 

Nice try Hififile. I have bee giving different clues each day and 2 of the clues are "model railroading" and "powerful" and Walter Johnson's nickname does have to do with "trains", and he certainly was a powerful pitcher with his 3508 career strikeouts. Interestingly the guy one above him on the list of career strikeouts leaders was Gaylord Perry. Known as an awful hitting pitcher with often a sub .150 batting average. One day in 1964 as Gaylord Perry was taking batting practice, he actually hit a ball over the fence. A reporter standing alongside Alvin Dark; Gaylord's manager, said "Wow,"maybe he'll actually hit a home run one day during an actual game". Manager Dark just looked at him and said "Nah, there will be a man on the moon before he ever hits a home run". Around five years later, we did put a man on the moon, and the announcer on the public address system at the stadium made the announcement and called for a moment of silence for the men on the moon. Within a half hour later, Gaylord Perry comes to the plate and hits his very first home run ever off Dodgers ace pitcher Claude Osteen. Alvin Dark's prediction about Gaylord Perry in 1964 was right, with the historic event of man landing on the moon in 1969. But he was only right by about 25 minutes...Ironically the reporter Dark made his comment to in 1964 was Harry Jupiter.
Your answer, though a good one is not the one we are looking for. In my previous clues regarding the player I mentioned that " I didn't' play behind the plate, Nor did I take the mound". So it can't be a pitcher. Also in my previous dialog it's implied that its a player from a little more modern era than when Walter Johnson played. Good try though. On the Bonus Question I will give you another chance, if you want to try again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:25 am 

Also keep in mind that the famous All Star player we are looking for has something to do with the world of electronics. My clues in the above posts give leads to not only who he is, but the team he played for which really should narrow it down. Although its one of those questions that as soon as you think of the right answer you will know it and smile.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:41 pm 

Thanks Upside, I'll keep working on it. An excellent brain buster too!

By the way, Claude Osteen is near and dear to me. I saw my first L.A. Dodger game in 1959 (pre-Elysian Park). I watched Osteen pitch and after he retired we used to frequent his restaurant in Van Nuys, CA. My dad lived across the street from Ebbet's Field and watched the Dodger's in the 1920's! "It's time for Dodger baseball"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:43 pm 

Claude Osteen's hardest to hit pitch was a pitch you don't hear about anyone throwing anymore: the screwball. Instead of twisting your wrist inward like a curveball, it was thrown by twisting your wrist outward. Ouch !
The Gaylord Perry story proves the best ones you can't make up. Who could have thought one up like that. Hoyt Wilhelm, who was a knuckleballer pitcher hit a home run in his first major league at bat, and then never hit another home run in his entire 20 year+ career.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:53 pm 

THE LAST CLUES FOR THE BONUS QUESTION.The Quiz challenge ends at 10 pm EST Wednesday. Last minute responders welcome. There is a prize and also pride !

CLUES: AUSTRIAN OAK; MECHANICAL BEAT

I SKIPPED THE MINOR LEAGUES

Remember, we are looking for an old time All Star Baseball Player who has something interesting to do with the world of electronics.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:55 pm 

The Jazz Quiz Challenge is over. The person who guessed AL Dimeola on question 6 is the winner, with the most questions right. Watch this thread for instructions on how to claim your prize. But now here are the answers.

1. Louis Armstrong is the one who said, If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know".

2. The theme from the classic sitcom TAXI is from the Touchdown LP by Bob James. The clue was something like "they are going count soon". Written on the day of the first NFL game on Thursday.

3. The verse "then Byrd can't blow" was from the Michael Franks classic Tiger In The Rain LP. Beautiful music, and tonal beauty on every track.

4. Birth Of The Cool by Miles Davis.

5. The track Cucumber Slumber is from Mysterious Traveler by Weather Report.

6. Senor Mouse was written by Chick Corea.

7. C. Thelonius Monk in his latter days went into near total seclusion.

8. D. A guy in a homeless shelter said that. Many decades ago I was in poverty for awhile and had to stay in a homeless shelter. At a certain time, lights went out and everybody stopped talking & went to bed. Except for this one short semi- bald curly haired man who had a habit of still talking. One of his memorable quotes was that "Blue Note was just a bunch of hopped up musicians playing in between the notes". He finally stopped talking when another guy threatened to take the shoe laces out of his shoes and use them.

9. No Room For Squares by Hank Motley.

10. Life's like jazz, its better if you improvise..Benny Goodman.

11. A track the Manhattan Transfer & Weather Report had in common was Birdland.

12. Jazz is not dead..It just smells funny....Frank Zappa.

13. A. Jean Luc Ponty never released a Jazz Symphony, even though he plays an electric violin.

14. Boxing is like Jazz.The better it is the less people appreciate it....George Foreman.

15. A. Alphonso Johnson was the main bass guitarist on Mysterious Traveler. Vitous was only on track 2.

16. The Shape Of Jazz To Come by Ornette Coleman.

THE BONUS QUESTION:

It was a tough challenging question on purpose. The first few clues were enough however to figure it out if someone thought about it the right way. "CONRAD," "POWERFUL". Type in: Robert Conrad Battery Commercial YouTube. Play back his 1977 commercial. Look at the close up of the batteries. Pay special attention to the first word in the black horizontal box on the face of the battery. The first 2 letters are the all star baseball players first name and the remaining letters are his last name (exactly!). He was not only an all star, but a hall of famer, and one of not that many to make it into the hall of fame on the first ballet. I will do another post explain how all the other clues tie in. It will be very interesting I assure you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:17 pm 

Spell-Right got me again, especially on question 9. It's Hank Mobley not Motley !!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:49 am 

Got it!

The famous Detroit Tiger - Al Kaline! DUH!

I saw him play several times at Angel Stadium in the 60's.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:19 am 

RECAPPING BONUS QUESTION CLUES:

AAUSTRIAN OAK; Mechanical Beat- Anrnold Schwarzenegger is nicknamed The Austrian Oak. Mechanical, hints at his movie Robo Cop, which he played a Futuristic Robot Policeman, and "BEAT" referred to cops territory, in this case Detroit, where Al Kline played his entire career.

MODEL RAILROADING- When you think of this, everyone thinks of Lionel Trains. One of their most recognized lines of trains was the K Line series which sounds exactly like Al Kaline's last name.

J.E. STEVENS CO.
PENNY PINCHING
ITS NOT DARK; MO

This was probably the hardest clue and was intended to give a lead as to what team (city) he played for. J.E. Stevens was an old company mainly known for their cast iron mechanical banks. One of their best known banks was called DARK TOWN BATTERY which had a Negro League pitcher & catcher. You put the penny into the pitchers hand and it locked in place. You moved a lever and the pitchers arm released and threw into the catchers mitt and into the bank for safe keeping. In baseball the pitcher & catcher are known as the "battery." "NOT DARK(town) MO hints at MOTOWN (Detroit) not DARKTOWN. You may have had to be an antique collector to figure out this clue.

A BLACK CAT DARE refers to Eveready batteries pictured logo, which is a black cat jumping through the loop of a nine; implying nine lives. However the "special" Alkaline batteries in the TV commercial did not picture the cat logo on it.

BEST ROCK GUITARISTS "I don't mind song" refers to the Jim Hendrix song "IF SIX WERE NINE". Al Kaline's wore no. 6 as his number and in baseball scoring, the no.9 represents the right fielder which was Kaline's main position.

NOT HEDBERG OR MITCH: Implies thinking of another famous Mitch. There are not too many real famous Mitch's. One is Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, which was a famous rock group from the 1960's. Another clue as to what city's team he played for.

A DAC. Rearrange the letters and you get the most popular battery sizes. AA, C and D.

CONRAD...POWERFUL. These were a clue as to the Robert Conrad commercial for the POWERFUL new AL(KALINE) batteries.

So there you have it a real brain teaser and its clues. No one guessed right who messaged in. I gave it a 50/50 chance that someone would figure it out. Some people out there undoubtedly tried the quiz without posting. I would be interested if anyone out there actually figured it out.

AS TO THE CONTEST WINNER: To claim your prize, look under the for sale or trade items in ANALOG. The heading is AUDIO ITEMS OF INTEREST. Respond to my ad and we will work the details out on the prize.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:05 am 

Spell-Right got me real good again throughout; didn't it. As I said previously its estimated that the awful thing known as Spell-Right costs the average person over 36 hours of their lives in 10 years. Its supposed to SAVE time, but it screws with words and sometimes whole sentences that you have exactly right. It not a very good mind reader and it manufactures 100 times more mistakes,(sometimes embarrassingly) than it corrects. I wish the world would get rid of it. It more of a pest than a swarm of bugs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:52 am 

I hope all you audiophiles enjoyed this quiz challenge, as according to the number of views it was a favorite.