US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:44 am 

My next audio purchase is going to be a Lyngdorf integrated. I am desperate to know what digital room correction can do for me! :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:22 am 

I really like the Luxman integrateds - I use the SQ-38u tube model, but the L-590AX Class A integrated is really great as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:06 pm 

a krell 300il was a really nice sounding ss int and now the hegel h360 is a really great sounding ss int.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:38 pm 

Perhaps the best thing about integrated amps is that you do not have to use an extra interconnect as you would with a preamp/ power amp. People have no idea how much sound quality is lost going through even a pretty good interconnect. I have pretty good perception and can usually hear the difference between tone defeat and the bass and treble controls up just a smidgen so they are technically on, but not enough to actually hear any boost.I've heard demonstrations where the dealer switched a popular well respected $100+ interconnect with a $900 interconnect and I would put the percentage of improvement at 40%. Which means that people using the cheaper and understandably more popular and better known cable are losing that much sound quality going from pre to power amp.
Going back to the cheaper cable the expansive soundstage literally collapsed, everything was annoyingly veiled in comparison, and sounded just slower enough to sound mechanical instead of effortless.Subtleties were not as obvious and took more effort to hear.Listening became almost like work rather than an effortless pleasure.The scary thing about it is that there are almost certainly even better interconnects that would have made the better ones sound silly.Just do the math. I don't want to get into any debate about the merits of cables and the possibility or impossibilities. But not only are their differences, but the degree of improvement is so easily heard that it doesn't even take very close listening. I know someone who has some nice classic Marantz tube equipment, whose interconnects are an afterthought and I know that he's never come close to hearing his Marantz pre and power amp even though he has owned them for nearly 60 years. Speaker cable is the same thing. By the time the signal gets to your speakers it can easily be degraded by well over 40% with even fairly good cables compared to the great stuff. I sort of thought of expensive cables as con artistry and snake oil until I heard for myself. With so many cable companies willing to back up their cables with a 30 to 60 day money back trial period like Clear Day etc., its worth a try even if you don't understand why there could be so much difference.A win win nothing to lose opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:42 pm 

Another vote for Luxman.

I have owned Marantz, two different McIntosh integrateds, YBA, and most recently Wyred4Sound. All had good sound, good features and were reliable. However the Luxman L-507UxII, hands down has the best sound and build qualities.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:52 pm 

the best int. amp in world bar none..nothing close..
Reflection MK2 Integrated Amplifier RAVEN AUDIO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 pm 

sharethemusic wrote:
the best int. amp in world bar none..nothing close..
Reflection MK2 Integrated Amplifier RAVEN AUDIO

C'mon that's kind of a silly statement, isn't it? In order for you to confidently make that assertion then it's assumed that you've auditioned every integrated amp in the world.

A very wise audiophool once said: "If you haven't heard it...then you don't have an opinion." :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:42 pm 

lol..dont take it so literally..its a fun topic... and yes..i stand by that assertion WITHOUT having to listen to every single amp ever made lol....oyy veyyy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:43 pm 

spend the 10k..buy it..see if im wrong..all the best,andy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:37 pm 

I have an integrated amp that has a button that when pressed in, puts it into class A for the first 5 Watts or so and has a sliding bias which then switches it into class A/B on higher dynamic swings.I have wondered about this. I play 2 pairs of identical speakers stacked on top of each other at the same time, with both speaker A and speaker B buttons engaged. Since the amp is splitting up the power between speaker set A & B, is it still putting out 5 Watts in class A to each speaker pair, or is it likely only putting out 2.5 Watts to each pair before sliding occasionally (I hope) into class A/B?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:55 pm 

hifijones wrote:

C'mon that's kind of a silly statement, isn't it?

Welcome to the Internet, Audio Forum Division.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 am 

I've owned about 20 different integrateds - beside numerous amp/pre-amp combos. Many all tube (highly recommend the Airtight 300b if you have highly efficient speakers, for a a KT-88 based all tueb the CARY SLI80 Signature is very good, as is the Cayin A88T, for EL-84/6L6GC - Leben CS300 and CS600), all Solid State too many Krells and ML's to list, and many hybrid Tube/SS.

By far the hybrids are my favorite - combining the powerful and tight bass control of SS in the amp section, with the midrange bloom and holography of a tubes in the pre section.
The best hybrids run the SS amp section in class A for at least the first 10 to 30 watts, then bias over to class A/B. Sweetness during the majority of the listening, but during those demanding moments no constriction or compression.

Here I would put the old Bada Purer SE 3.3, Bada 3.8 MkII, Pathos Classic II and III and TT, Vincent SV 237MK. All with remotes.

Wish list for future trials: The new Luxman class A SS L-590AXII.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:37 am 

if interconnects degrade the soubnd so much..why does everyone in hi end audiophile world use seps....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:01 am 

I liked the Creek 5350se Classic. But I'm getting a whole lot more enjoyment now out of the PrimaLuna Dialogue One.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:41 am 

Tradeoffs. Lose on the roundabouts, gain on the swings.

sharethemusic wrote:
if interconnects degrade the sound so much..why does everyone in hi end audiophile world use seps....

Seps let you have dedicated, targeted power supplies, for example. As CAMmer Nakamichel says, the power supply is half the amp.

Integrateds OTOH let you spend the money you saved on the extra box(es), on a better multi-purpose supply. If you want. ( Boxes cost a lot. )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next