US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:35 pm 

I have a pair of Magneplanar 1.7s that I like a lot, but I'm ready to upgrade. I'm considering Magneplanar 3.6Rs or Sonus Faber Liutos. Which would be the most significant upgrade? I am driving the 1.7s with a Peachtree Audio 220SE integrated and Marantz CD6006. I'd appreciate any advice people who are familiar with the speakers can give me. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:32 am 

If you like the Maggie sound, I'd say go for the 3.7s I've owned the Magnepaen MG12s as well as the 1.6s and would love to have space in my listening room for the 3.7s. If though, you're thinking of changing to a more traditional box speaker, the options are nearly endless. What make the Sonus Faber stand out for you?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:13 pm 

I've never actually heard them, but the reviews for Sonus Faber speakers are generally highly favorable. I don't live near any high-end shops so I pretty much have to go on online research and word of mouth. Finding used 3.7s is difficult and then you have the enormous shipping costs. Even so, I like the Magnepan sound so much I'm thinking of forgetting about the 3.6 and waiting for a pair of 3.7s.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:23 am 

Given that you like the Magnepan sound, the 3.7 sounds like a good decision. I have long favored an older pair of Martin Logan electrostats. However, I wanted some variety and jumped on a pair of Sonus Faber Concertos with original stands used.

I haven't replaced the ML's with them, but rather use them as an alternative speaker. It prevents audiophile burnout to have two different speakers to rotate between. And the Sonus's virtues are different.

The Concertos are less transparent and have poorer imaging than the ML's but they make voices and small group performances sound lovely and intimate. They also have a euphonic benefit for less well-recorded (read "harsh," "edgy," or "bright") pieces and for streaming Spotify. They are very good for just listening to music and ignoring the problems of individual recording quality without analysis.

So to sum up, you made the right choice. But Sonus Faber has different and complementary virtues.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:25 am 

I have the 1.6's and will have to say they respond to better source quality.

I'd suggest spending your money on a much better digital source. That Marantz is ok but you can do far better

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:48 pm 

I'm new to the forums and haven't figured out how to respond individually to the people who have replied to my post. I'm getting responses that are suggesting that I upgrade the source equipment. I guess I'm now looking for input about integrateds or separates and a different CD player, keeping in mind that I'm on a teacher's budget. I have been looking at used Bryston amps and the possibility of using my Peachtree Audio 220SE as a pre-amp. I appreciate the people who have taken the time to try to help. Thanks