US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:00 pm 

Okay, I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of Audiogon, at least not in its current format. The original was fine with me and I met some great people through it, many of whom are still friends. As I am recovering from a ruptured Achilles tendon I have been forced to stay off my feet so I have been doing a fair amount of browsing on the Internet to relieve some (okay, a lot) of boredom. I came across this website:

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/audiogon.com

There is a posting on this site that (and I am sorry) that I found rather hilarious, and weird all at the same time. I will also admit to having a black sense of humor, a survival tool after 38 years of law enforcement and seeing man's inhumanity to his brother man. Call it a copeing mechanism but I digress. While I have my own issues with Audiogon, I was rather taken aback by the one posting calling being a member of Audiogon is being part of internet terrorism. That is a new one on me. Can anyone explain what is going on? Have I missed something with Audiogon as of late, new policies perhaps? Again, not a big fan of theirs but I am not sure how they are part of "internet terrorism", though that is pretty funny to think about.

No offense meant to anyone - I just found the site and comments to be "different".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:04 pm 

First, best wishes for a speedy, and complete, recovery. Second, thank you for serving; we are in your debt.

I think that you misread the post. The poster is saying that members of Audiogon open themselves up to being victims of internet terrorism, not that they are internet terrorists. I am stretching here, but I believe that the poster is referring to the copious information, inclusive of credit card,and possibly banking, information that Audiogon now requires, which, if taken by internet terrorists, would allow them to victimize Audiogon members.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:51 am 

Ah, okay. You are probably correct. As the surgery was no fun, and rather painful, I admit to have a pain med onboard when I read the posting so it is very possible I misread or misinterpretted. When I went back and re-read the posting, it still did strike me as a little "strong". As mentioned, I did a lot of time in law enforcement and the last eight years was as a detective lieutenant in charge of four units of investigation totalling about 45 detectives. One of those units was a financial crimes unit where internet theft, identity theft, check fraud, etc. was investigated. After getting several weeks of training from the Secret Service as well as from my own detectives, we are ALL subject to internet terrorism no matter what website we visit. I was simply stunned by what information can be gleaned from or on a person when doing the most simple of things online. The scariest of all was this: a female SS agent asked the class how many people had download the flashlight amp onto their SMART phone. About 90% of the class had. She borrowed one phone from a member of the audience, and without knowing a single thing about that person, and with just the flashlight app, in a matter of a few minutes she had the person's name, address, phone number, birthdate, SSN, place of employment, some credit information, and she told us she could have gotten more. It was just scary. So, while I have no disagreement with the individual who was upset with the information Audiogon wanted to collect, that person should realize, as should we all, that our "souls" have been laid bare by the internet and by the largest percentage just by any app we have or site we have joined. I shudder to think what Google has on us all...
Thanks for the well wishes and it was my priviledge to serve. I met some great people and I like to think I helped a fair number of people. I would do it all again but maybe in a different period in time. It is even more frightening now than I care to imagine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:15 am 

The flashlight app is very scary. Very. So, is this flashlight app taking personal information without disclosure? Or, is it that by downloading the app 3rd parties have access to your personal information that is contained in the phone? Or, is it something else altogether?

Something else disturbing that I noted is the following. I have a new laptop that we just recently set up. Well I noticed that sometimes if I'm on a website, in the lower left corner of the computer something that is happening fast. There is a message or notes moving stating sometimes something like, "googleanalytics" with letters, symbols in the front and the rear. What gives me the chills about this is that I am not on a Google related site, i.e., I did not use Google chrome as the web browser, I did not use Google as the search engine, etc. Yet somehow what appears to be some entity or site related to Google has accessed the web sites I am on.