US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: No one is buying
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:06 pm 

Lots of sellers, few buyers. What’s going on?

Post subject: Re: No one is buying
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:29 pm 

I blame Trump. :lol:

But seriously I'm not buying because after 35+ years of raiding my retirement fund and plundering my bank account I can say that I'm essentially cured of the affliction of audiophilia i.e. the constant hardware upgrades are finally behind me. The reason being that my system has evolved to the point where I'd have to invest a substantial amount of $$$ to incrementally improve on what I have.

I did add a Nordost Brahma pc to the mix recently and it's the first discernible and audible improvement that I've been able to perceive when it comes to swapping power cords; it replaced a Nordost Vishnu. The Vishnu was good but the Brahma was a revelation and I was somewhat shocked that these 60-year old ears could actually hear the difference.

But I'm done upgrading. Honest. Really I am. No seriously...you've got to believe me...I am through. :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:41 pm 

hifijones wrote:
But I'm done upgrading. Honest. Really I am. No seriously...you've got to believe me...I am through. :?

If I had a new preamp for every time I've said that, well, I'd have a new preamp. :roll:

I hope that some day I will get to that point. I've been told it's in my DNA so I can't escape it. Sure glad I ended up an Audiophile and not a...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:57 pm 

MrAudio wrote:
Sure glad I ended up an Audiophile and not a...

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:29 am 

My gear is selling very well. I think that some of it is the gear you are selling. The Technics is a rather specialized product, though you have priced it keenly. Fritz speakers are a brand that is thinly followed with minimal magazine coverage.

I think that, in the best of times, you would struggle to sell these items.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:48 am 

very easy to sell..price low,have awesome equipment..sells instantly.... i have had some old vintage stuff..just sitting at bottom prices still not gona sell.... i sold a fw j2 and a fw sit-2 in 48hrs each...and many other items in a few days...
as far as my disease of audiophileism..i belong to AA.. im done with the merrygoround... just for today.... my system sounds so so good..why on earth would i need to try another audiophile chord,interconnect..total utter insanity.... i teach all my friends about my "back up" mentality..i have a pre amp back up for EACH system(3)..amp back up ,table back up...i have ENOUGH..im certifiable nuts....but i do love it! just have to stop buying..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:50 am 
Premium User

viridian2 wrote:
My gear is selling very well. I think that some of it is the gear you are selling. The Technics is a rather specialized product, though you have priced it keenly. Fritz speakers are a brand that is thinly followed with minimal magazine coverage.

I don't think they are priced very keenly. 50% of retail is a good rule of thumb if you want to sell something expediently. Even in the best of climates.

As mentioned neither one is in high demand and are in categories with stiff competition. And both are priced a little high IMO. And before you mention it, I know my opinion isn't worth shite.

I have found $50.00 can make the difference between selling and not selling a piece.

This topic was covered ad nauseum here:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49531

You'll also have a WAY better chance of selling your items quickly on Audiogon. Not dissing USAM it's just the way it is.

Good luck with your sales.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:20 am 

If my item doesn't sell within a few days, I lower the price. The reason I sell is because I no longer want the piece so I lower the price until it's gone.

I no longer sell on AudoGon, they're too intrusive.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:31 am 

agree 100 percent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:52 am 

+1 re Agon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:16 am 

also..tax season always slow..lower your pricing to reflect tight pockets...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:27 am 
Premium User

Tax season came to mind but I have noticed over the years that a large contibution is the stock market volatility or uncertainty.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:50 am 

I bought my first online, used audio purchase on A-gon in 1998 and have used the site since. Until recently, my last transaction was in 2013, but we moved at the beginning of the year and my space changed (enlarged) significantly, so I have again been active buying and selling.

My sense of A-gon is that it has changed drastically in the past 4-5 years. Way fewer ads, with a couple of Verified Dealer sellers accounting for a significant percentage of the ads. I sold a pair of Dynaudio C2 Mkii's that I had listed on both sites (A-gon and here) - MSRP of $13.5K, listed for $5900. It took two months and I really only had about 3-4 serious inquiries, along with 3-4 goofy inquiries. A-gon showed that I had 2500 views each of the months I had it listed there, but I have a hard time believing that was 2500 different viewers.

In the (good?) old days, I feel like that listing would have sold easily within a week, if not less. I have no way of knowing how many people actively shop A-gon, but there are definitely fewer people listing things there at any given time, and the repetition (which was always there) of the dealer ads inflates the New Ad count.

I haven't used this site for as long or as much, and it hasn't changed its business model on a continuous basis like A-gon, so maybe this site is like it has always been.

I've been trying to figure out if it's truly different now, if the used audio gear market isn't as vibrant, is transacted in a different way, is similar to the past but going through a down couple of months for whatever reason, or if there is another reason.

Anyway, I looked at the two ads from the OP and they're both really well done and (IMO) priced reasonably. Lowering the prices is never going to hurt, but you have to have the interest regardless of price, and if I was interested in either ad, they're priced well enough that I'd offer less and negotiate if final cost was the only thing holding me back. Using my example, I didn't get a lot of interest in my Dynaudios where somebody was trying to work out how to get to the final total cost they needed to make it work for them.

-Kirk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:59 pm 

So....the glass is half full!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:25 pm 

There have been some very interesting replies to this posting, and some also that I think are very accurate, at least from what I have been seeing. Granted, this is not a very scientific study and all, but I agree with the original post that there are not many buying. I started into this hobby in the late 80's, and I joined Audiogon in the late 1990's when it was a great place to sell, and also buy. I remember seeing upwards of seven to eight pages of preamps alone, and each page had probably at least 25 ads if not more. If there was something you wanted used, you could find it. It was also easier to communicate with the seller, and I made several friends along the way with the old system. Then came the change, and to my way of looking at things, the greed. My wife and I were attending an RMAF around 2010 or so and had a chance encounter with one of the new owners of the "new" Audiogon. To make a long story short, the man was rather smug when I started asking him why the changes, and his reply was "Where else are you going to sell your gear? We are the only game in town". My wife, who is a gentle soul and would not say "poop" if she had a mouthful, proclaimed the man to be an "ass" once we left the area where we (and he) were (was) sitting. To "kthomas", yes - Audiogon is not what it once was and to me, not even remotely close.

To "hifijones", I agree that raiding one's retirement fund for the purchase of things audio no longer makes sense. I might add here that once I stopped reading several audio websites and magazines, the "nervosa" simmered way the heck down and no longer am I looking for the Holy Grail in audio. I am very happy with what I have. Ignorance can be bliss. Also, I just bundled up all of my unused cables; Nordost, AudioQuest, WireWorld and others and retail for all of them added up to about $5K. I made about $1500 on all of them. That will also wake you up and get you to stop buying, or at least it was a wake up call for me to see all of that in black and white. Just saying...

To "viridian" and some others, I agree with your comments and I tend to believe that things are only worth what someone is willing to pay. To me, and this is just me now, but it seems that some people believe that their audio equipment appreciates as time goes on, and that a piece that is 10-15 years old is still worth what they paid for it. It rarely works for autos, and stereo equipment ain't that much different. I have been seeing more gear selling at some really unrealistic prices, especially gear that is several years old if not more. I do not understand that. Gear, it seems, used to be sold at more realistic prices.

And finally, "woodrage" said something to the affect that the people and the hobby is not what it once was. Yes, "amen" to that. As mentioned earlier in my post here (rant), I made some good friends off the old Audiogon and now it is so much more difficult to have a "conversation" with someone there outside the Audiogon oversight. Don't even try to send someone your email unless you can do it in code or you bought something and then it is okay. A comment was made that guns are probably selling more. A neighbor of mine manages a Cabela's (soon to be Bass Pro Shops) and it is a "Class C" store for Cabela's, their smallest store. And yet, this store sells over 4800 guns a month. And the area where I live is a decent sized county, but we are not all that big. Just in case "woodrage" was wondering I thought I would put this in. That is a lot of guns..

So, thanks for letting me rant a little. There was a lot of great replies to the original post and most of them accurate, and sage. It does sadden me some that the hobby does seem to be changing and I don't think for the better. I know that the brick and mortar audio stores in my area are not the places they once were...they seem more and more about the sale and less and less about what is best for the customer.