US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of USAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:05 pm 
Premium User

I recently sold a very expensive CD player to a buyer in Canada. This player worked perfectly for me without an issue all the way up until the day before shipment. When the buyer received it, he informed me that it wouldn't read a disc. I contacted the company, and got a quote of between $300-$400 to fix the CD player. the buyer agreed to allow me to pay for shipping there and shipping back. I told him to use FEDEX and to use the cheapest way to get it there which would have been around $80. he agreed that he would do this. He proceeded to ship the item back to the manufacturer for repair. he had them pick it up. It turns out that FEDEX made a mistake and instead of shipping it economy, they shipped it in a much more expensive way which costs $250. The guy did not know this until after the item was delivered and he received the bill. Now he is demanding that i pay for this shipping to the manufacturer. I have replied back and told him that i agreed to pay for shipping both ways, but i should not be held responsible for his or FEDEX mistake. I do have the entire chain of emails regarding this. Is there anyway to prevent him from leaving me negative feedback after I have done everything in my power to get the item fixed at no cost to him? Or if he does leave me negative , can i have it removed? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:18 pm 

has he already left u negative fb? or threatened negative fb? fedex does not make "a mistake and not ship as directed"...whatever was checked on the shipping awb was what was used...they make other mistakes,but not that mistake.. what should have been done was to get a accurate quote with the shipping method used i.e "international economy,priority etc.. now ,whats been done is done..if your buyer did not know the cost until after....it is because either one or both of u were not accounting for taxes ,duties and fees(in future mark on package "for repair")
the best solution at this point if feedback is so important,is to either ask him to split the excessive shipping cost or just eat the loss and cover it....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:11 pm 
Premium User

He has not left feedback yet or threatened to. I'm assuming that he would if I don't pay for his mistake. I was just curious as to what my options were in the event that he does. I have perfect feedback everywhere i sell, and I don't want a negative feedback. He was instructed to ship it economy which would have been in the $80 range which is what it costs for me to ship it to him. Ayre acoustics instructed him exactly how to go about doing it and to state that it was being sent for repair. He sent me an email stating that it would be $80 something dollars. He says that he had two packages going out. One to the United states and one to Japan. Whatever mistake he made he made it on that one too where they charged him $1,120! ouch!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:37 am 

Last edited by riley804 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:05 am 

Scroll down in this topic thread to read a post from the site owner (admin) on negative feedback complaint policy at CAM.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1427

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:29 am 
Premium User

Will do thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:10 am 

smfins wrote:
It turns out that FEDEX made a mistake and instead of shipping it economy, they shipped it in a much more expensive way which costs $250.

smfins wrote:
I do have the entire chain of emails regarding this.

You're making two contradictory statements. Either Fedex made the mistake, or you don't have all the facts. Instead of taking the preemptive step to avoid negative feedback, you should start by finding out EXACTLY what happened. When the buyer receives a defective item, you should take control to fix the problem. This includes making the shipping arrangements (eg. written quote or prepaid shipping), not mysteriously let someone at Fedex "make" a mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:16 am 
Premium User

Thank you for your input.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:26 am 

exactly mtseymor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:58 pm 
Premium User

He was instructed exactly how to ship it from the manufacturer. He was quoted a price from FEDEX. I agreed to pay economy shipping of the amount i was given both directions along with the repair. Whatever he did i can't control. Me Offering to pay both directions and repair is as much as can be expected. Again, i appreciate the input and it has been noted, but without each of you seeing the conversation between the seller, the company and myself it really doesn't show whats going on. It's Way too much to explain here. i will deal with it as needed. thanks again

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:26 pm 

smfins wrote:
without each of you seeing the conversation between the seller, the company and myself it really doesn't show whats going on. It's Way too much to explain here. i will deal with it as needed. thanks again

If it's "too much to explain", why start a thread about "unwarranted negative feedback"? If you clearly informed the buyer about the shipping method and have a written quote from Fedex, there is no point of contention.

If your written communication was vague or sloppy, then you should bear the excess shipping costs. As a seller, you should have a basic understanding of sales agreements.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:44 pm 
Premium User

Thanks to the couple members who provided useful feedback on this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:06 pm 

What gets me is when I hear about these disputes where some deal has gone south and there is litigation threats. etc.
Then it comes out it was over some stupid old relic $100 or $200 item
I would rather throw some old piece of crap in the garbage than risk negative feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:31 pm 
Premium User

This was over a $1,600 item though. I offered to just refund his money and have him return it, but he insisted he wanted it and wanted to have it repaired. I did everything i could which is pay shipping both directions and have it repaired. Then he doesn't follow directions that the manufacturer gave him and wants someone else to pay for his mistake. He says it was fedex's mistake, but hes the one that gave me exact details on how to ship it to him to avoid excessive charges, so he knows how to do it correctly. anyway, it will be what it will be....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:20 pm 

Hey I feel for you, I wasn't trying to belittle your sale. Yes your item was expensive.
Maybe you guys could split the difference on the extra shipping charges...I know it stings, but better than nothing

Years ago I bought some car rcas on ebay. I got them for a smoking good deal. The guy quoted me so much for shipping.
When I got the cables the shipping was way more than he said, so much more that he would have lost money on the sale.
It was right at Christmas too. Anyways without him saying anything I sent him money for the extra shipping cost
and I think an extra $5 or $10. With the payment I left a note and said Merry Christmas.
Well the guy was so happy...the whole karma thing, I never would have felt good about the deal or myself
Unfortunately, not everyone is like you and me...its almost like honor and integrity are a thing of the past