with a denon 4400
and a emotiva xpa 2 gen 3
again would they work well together as a package thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:41 pm 

here we go again......

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:26 pm 

whats going on here...lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:36 pm 

So let me see if I got this straight. You have all that equipment and you want someone to figure out your sound for you.What your sound is gonna be like ? Right? I'm a little confused. How am I doing so far? Have I got at least that ppartright? Without actually hearing it first. That's a real head scratcher. Couldnt you just hook it up and see how it sounds? HEAR how it sounds I mean?
Oh wait a minute, I just forgot. I just realized you don't have it all bought yet. You have some of it now, right? Could you hook up what you do have and maybe give us a hint? Maybe one of us could figure out how the rest of it'll sound. There are so many different factors. Your sound can actually sound different if there are people in the room. Especially tall people. Tall people have bigger clothing. It absorbs the highs a little. I'm sort of a tall lanky guy myself. People tell me I favor Ray Goulding of Bob & Ray, (you know the tall one). Some go so far as to say I look exactly like him. I am a bit confused on all this.
Lets see, if I was trying to have someone figure out my sound, I think I'd want to talk to someone really smart. Maybe a Scientist or a computer or something. How many people do you usually have in the room with you? Are they tall? How much clothing are they wearing ? Is it Summer there in England now ?
I really wish I could help more, but I'm not getting a clear enough picture. Like I say, maybe you could hook together what you do have, and give us at least something to go on. I wouldn't worry too much about the sound being integrated. If there's a fighter plane flying from behind and there's a love scene on the beach, you wouldn't want those sounds to be integrated, right? What an awful movie that would be anyway.
Maybe there's someone smarter than me on here, that could figure it out for you. I can't do it. But if I come up with something, I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:17 pm 

Another thing you have to concern yourself when planning a system is quality control. Or if you're buying used equipment; whether the person you're thinking of dealing with is evil. I generally like to see a picture of not only the equipment, but the person himself; if I could. They might think you're a little strange but I still feel better if I can actually see what the seller looks like first. Maybe about six pictures of the equipment and about 4 or 5 of the seller, if its not inconvenient, or even if it is. I don't like to get taken.
I generally avoid people who portray themselves as being overly religious, or wearing a chain on their neck. If the picture shows they are wearing sandals; forget it. There's an old saying to "never trust a guy in sandals."I find that to be true.I also tend to generally avoid people whose pictures show that their tongue is pressing against the inside of their cheek so much so, that they are obviously trying to distort their face in profile.
Also I like to avoid people who describe gouges and heavy scratches on vintage equipment as "the usual normal wear". If a piece of equipment is sitting somewhere and taken good care of, even if its sitting there for a million years, it won't develop a bunch of scratches. If someone has a piece of equipment in their garage and the wall shelf collapsed and it fell off into a pile of bricks. To me that's not normal wear. Something abnormal just happened there...Am I right?
Also you have to worry about factory seconds. If the seller themselves looks like someone who would never pay list price for anything from the photos of himself, I pass. I once worked in product assembly for an older now defunct company and you get all kinds on the assembly line. I've often rubbed elbows with people who've come into work drunk, or some of them just weren't any good.
I remember this one girl who wasn't very good at soldering, and when the amplifier got all the way down the line to me, and when I'd hook it up and I'd check out the heat sinks. As soon as the internal fan came on, the air from it would often blow what parts she soldered right across the circuit board. Its good I always wore goggles.Talk about bad soldering. They tried to replace her, but she had seniority. Also always wear ear plugs in a noisy environment. You might miss some occasional gossip, but its the best thing in the long run.
So you got to be careful when trying to assemble a system.You never know who owned, or who built it. I had to buy 3 or 4 cassette decks on ebay before I got one, that didn't have something major wrong with it, enough that I wouldn't use it. Buying mechanical stuff is the biggest risk. On the upside its amazing how long speakers last sometimes.. and some other stuff.