US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:59 pm 

For strictly a two-channel system used almost exclusively to reproduce acoustic music (bluegrass, classic country, classical) in a fairly small but not tiny room, how does the newer REL compare to the Stadium III? Associated gear: Audio Research CD6, LS27 and REF75 SE, Harbeth 30.2. I look for finesse, not thunder. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:28 am 

Have not heard the RS III nor the S/5 SHO (don't you love responses from people who "have not …". However, I see the RS III is a much older model than the SHO and, I do own a S/3 SHO. Based on your room size (mine is 17.5 x 15), I'd suggest you look at the 3 and save the delta for other system or room tweaks. I'd also expect the newer SHO to make the older RS III sound slow & bloated by comparison - exactly what you do not want.

Finally, reach to REL themselves, they can assist you in finding the right model. It might even be a pair of their T series.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:11 pm 

I'm trying out a REL S/5 SHO and I can tell you that, blindfolded, a person would be hard-pressed to hear a difference. That's how good the Stadium III is.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:28 am 

The Rels are nice subs that I've only listened to at shows. So my experience is limited but I still think options like TWO Rythmik Audio sealed/ported Servo subs mated with a MiniDSP / Dirac live unit offers more options for the same money of a single REL. Especially in problem rooms where the key to getting the BEST sound is having the tools to adjust the room response.

To take this even further....a listener / audiophile like yourself that makes STRONG claims about the sub being used for "two-channel system", "acoustic music", "finesse, not thunder", is a small room, etc., etc. Its quite clear that you are looking for the most natural and musical sub that you can find. Heck, some want the bass SO lean that they don't even see the need of a sub at all. Anyway, I think if you or other have not do so, you must listen to and maybe try a good open baffle sub in your space at some point in your journey in this hobby.

The GR Research / Rythmik co-designed open baffle servo controlled products come to mind. I'm sure many look past these as they are DIY products but there are woodworker / cabinet makers all around in every state / city that can build things and make them look and match anything that you please...all for a fee. I'm sure one can get TWO dual sub kits, with the BETTER A370PEQ servo amp per side that has more adjustments and have the enclosures made for the cost of a single $2500 REL. If one wants realism and accuracy over tons of output, this is the way to go.

This is the direction I'm going when I finally get my second room / 2 channel system together. My challenge is WAF and only a singe sub will integrate in the layout of the room. I've listened to some very nice sounding sealed and ported subs over the years in music, theater, and sound quality​ car audio systems. There was something special about the open baffle subs that I've listened to. Especially in small spaces like a competition SQ car. It was the best, most naturally integrated bass I've ever heard in a vehicle.

http://gr-research.com/servosubkit3.aspx
http://gr-research.com/servosubkit4.aspx
http://gr-research.com/servosubkit5.aspx
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/GRci_OB.html

Image Image
Image Image