US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:41 am 

Welcome to the Jazz Trivia Challenge Quiz. This is an interactive quiz. Only those who respond by messaging their answers are eligible for the prize to the person with the most correct answers. In case of a tie the member who sent their answers first wins. Looking answers up on the net is cheating. Everyone is on the honor system.The prize has something to do with the BONUS QUESTION which is also a clue to what the prize is. You do not have to guess what the prize is. Here then is the quiz.

1. Who made the famous quote: "If you don't know what jazz is, you'll never know" ?

2. The opening theme from the old sitcom TAXI was taken from what album ? CLUE: The ones that count are coming up soon.

3. Charlie "Bird" Parker is considered one of the most important legends of Jazz. What jazz vocalist wrote a song with the sarcastic verse "If that's identity then Bird can't blow" ?

4. The Birth Of The .... was a famous album by what famous Jazz artist ?

5. What jazz album has a track called Cucumber Slumber ?

6. What jazz artist has a well known composition titled Senior Mouse ?

7. What famous jazz artist in the later years of his life went into near total seclusion ? A. Lois Armstrong. B. Benny Goodman. C. Thelonius Monk. D. Kenny Burrell

8. Blue Note is one of the greatest Jazz labels ever. Who made this statement ? "Blue Note is just a bunch of hopped up musicians playing in between the notes". A. Dave Brubeck. B. John Coltrane. C.Al Hirt. D. An unknown guy from a homeless shelter.

9. Which vintage jazz artist came out with an album called No Room For Squares ?

10. Who said that "Life is a lot like Jazz...its better when you improvise" ?

11. What track referring to a famous jazz artist does the group Weather Report and The Manhattan Transfer have in common on their respective albums ?

12. Who made the quote "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells bad" ?

13. Which of the following did not compose a full jazz symphony ? A. Jean Luck Ponty. B. Wynton Marsalis. C. George Antheil. D. None of the above

14. Who is credited with the quote "Boxing is like Jazz, the better it is, the less people appreciate it" ?

15. Who was the main bass guitar player on Mysterious Traveller by Weather Report, an album that many people consider their best album ever ? A. Alphonso Johnson. B. Miroslav Vitous. C. Jaco Pastorius. D. Stanley Clarke

16. The .....Of Jazz To Come was an album by what artist ? A. McCoy Tyner. B. Spyro Gyra. C. Coleman Hawkins. D. Ornette Coleman

BONUS QUESTION

I am a fan of America's favorite pastime; Baseball (not audio)TO course I like that too.The pennant races are on and the season is in its last weeks of regular season play. Looking for the name of a very famous Baseball All Star Player from the past. The bat I used a long time ago in Little League had his name engraved on it. CLUES: A DAC...CONRAD. This is also a clue as to what the prize is, if you can guess the question right.

Respond with your answers (without cheating and looking anything up) on this thread. Good Luck !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:46 am 

SPELL RITE messed up the spelling on question 6. The track is spelled Senor Mouse. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:58 am 

Awful Spell Rite I just noticed also misspelled one of the possible answers on the jazz symphony ? Of course the name is Jean Luc Ponty not Jean Luck Ponty. Good luck !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:13 am 

I have decided to upgrade the clues on the Bonus ? I played little league in the 1960's and add the word powerful to A DAC & Conrad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:04 am 

"If you have to ask what jazz is , you'll never know" is the more to be exact wording on one of the questions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:53 pm 

Without the assistance of Google I'll take a shot at a few of them.

(4) ...."Cool" - Miles Davis

(5) Weather Report

(6) Horace Silver?

(11) Birdland

(15) Miroslav Vitous

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:23 am 

I appreciate your honesty. You do have some questions right, and that makes you the current leader for the prize. The baseball players name we are looking for in the bonus question has something rather comically to do with the world of electronics. If someone gets it right and thinks it out, it would be really impressive. The answers will be forthcoming and listed here on the 12th of September. Good luck !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:17 am 

UPDATE TO THE BONUS QUESTION

Since the Bonus Question is a real doozey, and a very clever but hard question. I am going to assign it 2 points, with all the other questions counting as one point. When you hear the answer on the 12th you will likely realize what a Classic brain teaser it is and you will most likely laugh. I am adding an extra clue now.

Looking for the name of a famous old time all star baseball player.

NEW CLUE: Greatest Rock Guitarists " I Don't Mind" song. No if's or plurals about it.

Old Clues: Powerful. A DAC. Conrad.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:46 am 

ANOTHER CLUE TO THE BRAIN TEASING BONUS ?

Not Hedberg or Miller.

If you guess on the bonus, Don't tell why that is your guess.The prize, which will reveal itself if you get the name of the player is something very useful to almost anyone. Its worth playing for and its fun. Responding if you know any answers could definitely be worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:35 pm 
Premium User

1: Louis Armstrong
4. Cool...Miles Davis
6. Al Dimeola
7. Benny Goodman
8. Al Hirt
9. Hank Mobley
11. Birdland
15 Jaco Pastorius
16. Shape...Ornette Coleman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:42 am 

Congratulations ; your correct answer total makes you the current new leader in the Jazz Quiz Challenge. Still no one has taken a guess as to the Bonus Question which is worth 2 points instead of one, because of its difficulty.You are still allowed to answer the bonus question (only). The Jazz Quiz Challenge will end on 9/12 at 10pm EST. I will announce the winner, the prize, and the answers about a half hour after that. Watch this space for further clues on the bonus question. I will be giving another clue real shortly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:57 am 

With a brand new leader in the Jazz Quiz Challenge I will now give another clue on the Bonus Question which is worth 2 points instead of the usual one. We are looking for the name of a famous old time All Star MLB Baseball player whose name is associated with the world of electronics. Check out the other clues on this thread given previously. Here is another clue.

ROUND BUT ALSO SQUARE
A BLACK CAT DARE
A PITCHER & CATCHER IN SOUND
I DID NOT PLAY BEHIND THE PLATE
NOR TAKE THE MOUND.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:32 am 

ANOTHER BONUS QUESTION CLUE:

J.E. STEVENS COMPANY
PENNY PINCHING
IT AIN'T DARK ; MO

If you figure out the Bonus Question, Don't explain how or why.

AN UNRELATED TRIVIA QUESTION & ANSWER BELOW IT ( for those who hate to wait). Think about the possible answer to this question and then if you give up, scroll way down for the correct answer.

Question: What well known U.S. National Attraction moves several feet each year, and has for centuries ? This does not involve leaning like the Leaning tower Of Pizza.It would have fallen over by now at that rate.

Due to the process of erosion caused by friction of the constant flow of running water, Niagara Falls moves backward several feet each year. The Canadian Falls does the same, of course !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:55 pm 

ADDITIONAL CLUE TO BONUS QUESTION: Model Railroading.

If there are people who like quizzes like this, now is the time to show it, by responding and guessing on some questions. Tomorrow is the last day and the answers will be revealed after the end of the quiz, at around 10:30 pm EST.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:39 am 

My guess to the Bonus Question...

Walter Johnson, (aka: Walter "Big Train" Johnson")