US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:40 am 

WHO SAID THE FOLLOWING QUOTES ?
The answers will be given on Wednesday evening.

1. Talking about Jazz is like dancing about architecture.

2. Wagner's music is better than it sounds. A. Johann Strauss. B. Adolph Hitler. C. Mark Twain. D. Brahms.

3. Gary Puckett and The Union Gap ? That music is crap.

4. Look at the stars. They're so damn ugly. A. Miles Davis. B. Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis. C. T-Bone Walker. D. Al Kaline

5. If I knew I was going to live to be a hundred I would have taken better care of myself.

6. I've always liked Pinball. It's a sexual thing actually. A. Keith Moon. B. David Bowie. C. Elvis Presley. D. Billie Holiday

7. Igor Stravinsky never had a good musical idea in his life.

8. If it don't have harmony it ain't spit. A. Franz Schubert. B. Burt Bacharach. C. Jutta Hipp. D. Unknown guy from the homeless shelter who occasionally in the middle of the night, when everyone was sleeping all around him would take out his guitar and start to play and sing.

9. Jazz is just an intensified feeling of nonchalance.

10. There were a lot of fake hippies in the 60's. They'd get the crabs and then just leave.

11. I Don't practice my guitar. Occasionally I just open the case and throw in some raw meat. A. Jimi Hendrix. B. Eddie Van Halen. C. Wes Montgomery. D. Carlos Santana

12. Ornette Coleman ? That cat is nuts.

13. My whole life was centered around proving something. To overcome that I was short. A. Mickey Rooney. B. Sammy Davis Jr. C. Paul Williams. D. Randy Newman

14. I'm sexually "satisfied. Financially "unsatisfied". Philosophically "trying".

15. I've spent my entire musical life learning what NOT to play. A. Joe Zawinul. B. Charlie Byrd. C. Dizzy Gillespie. D. Aaron Copland

16. It was not something I liked the idea of. How do you put sugarplums and marzipan to music ?

These questions cover a broad range of music. Respond with answers before Wednesday evening and show what a well rounded music lover you are. The one with the most answers right without cheating by looking it up on the net will be eligible to compete for a Grand Prize Showdown Match at the end of the year. Good Luck !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:10 pm 

DOUBLE BONUS QUESTION (Worth two points)
This double bonus question is a 2 parter. Actually a 3 parter as there is a third thing to figure out.

Who said " There is more stupidity on this planet than hydrogen, and it has a longer shelf life".

Who said "A success is a person who wakes up in the morning and goes to sleep at night, and in between, does the things he wants to do".

Take the names of both of these people and put the letters of their names together in an order that gives you two common words. There will be 2 extra letters left. Put the 2 extra letters together in both possible orders and verbalize the letters. It will sound like a popular well known restaurant and the very first letters (2 words) of the menu item it is best known for. So (1) whose quote is the first quote. (2) Whose quote is the second quote and (3) what menu item is it that the extra two letters are the.very first letters of ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:13 pm 

CLUE: One of the quotes is from a famous musical artist who has another quote listed in the 16 question challenge above.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:27 pm 

CORRECTION & CLARIFICATION. Take only the letters of the FIRST NAMES of these 2 musical legends and jumble them in an order that gives you 2 common words and 2 extra letters. Their first names only !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:14 am 

CLUE ON THE BONUS QUESTION:

The music artist credited with one of the above two quotes released a well known album whose album cover picture was only material for squares man !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:21 am 

New Clue On The Bonus Question:

WEASEL'S RIPPED MY FLESH.

The quotes in the quiz are not any of my quotes, they are musical artists or famous people quotes. It's easier for me to only make some ?'s multiple choice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:45 pm 

Since The Bonus Question Is More Than A Single.
There will be a "A DOUBLE CLUE TO THE BONUS" .
This refers to the other musical quote & artist, than the one I gave a clue on earlier today.

___ Lady ___
_ _ _ _ _ _ On _ _ _ _ _ _

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:04 pm 

ANOTHER BONUS QUESTIONS CLUE:

CARTER OR FLO MIGHT HAVE IT

ITS ONLY NATURAL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:51 am 

FINAL BONUS QUESTION CLUES:
These clues refer to both of the music legends.

He & Mark Knopfler produced it instead.

Sheik Yerbouti

Answers tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:21 pm 

ANSWERS TO MUSICAL QUOTES QUIZ

1. Thelonius Monk on Jazz, dancing & architecture.

2. C. Mark Twain said Wager's music is better than it sounds.

3. Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richard referred to The music of Gary Puckett as "crap". ( Maybe a bit AM simple, but there was just something about it. Uplifting, emotional, and definitely melodic).

4. Look up at the stars. They're so damn ugly, is a quote attributed to D. Al Kaline. And you thought that was a joke answer.

5. Eubie Blake would have taken better care of himself.

6. A. Keith Moon drummer for The Who from his Pinball video on YouTube.

7. The composer who aaccused Igor Stravinsky of never having had a good musical idea in his life was Serge Prokofiev.

8. D. Music is spit without harmony was said by the unknown homeless guy, who makes his second appearance in these quizzes.

9. Jazz & nonchalance quote by an unknown French writer.

10. Frank Zappa with an important insight about hippies and "free love" back in the 1960s.

11. C. Wes Montgomery jokingly claimed to throw his guitar meat.

12. Thelonius Monk again, commenting on Ornette Coleman being "nuts" probably after hearing The Shape Of Jazz To Come.

13. B. Sammy Davis Junior confessed to overcompensation and trying to prove things because of his short stature.

14. MIck Jagger in a commonly played old film clip, said that about love, finances and philosophy.

15. C. Dizzy Gillespie claimed he spent his whole life learning most importantly what not to play.

16. Peter Tchaikovsky on being approached to compose a ballet putting ETA Hoffman's Nutcracker story to music, back in the 1890's.

BONUS QUESTION ANSWERS:

Frank Zappa & Bob Dylan. (Arby's) Roast Beef

Explanations on all the clues of the preceding days will be explained tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:25 am 

SUMMARY OF BONUS QUESTION CLUES:

1. An abum cover which was material for squares only....That was in reference to Frank Zappa's album cover "Ship too late to save a drowning witch". Which only used straight lines, not a curve in the whole drawing, (material for squares).

2. "Weasels ripped my flesh". That was another album cover of Zappa's.

3. Lay "Lady" Lay & Blonde "On" Blonde were 2 Bob Dylan albums that if you knew the first word you'd know the last word too as the words were repeated in the title.

4. "Carter Or Flo Might Have It". Many decades ago Dylan's first song on the album Desire was about an innocent imprisoned ex-boxer by the name of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter and Flo hinted at the current Hurricane Florence. They might have it, refers to the Dylan song lyric "The answer my friends is blown' in the wind".

It's only natural was a Dylan song verse and also Hurricanes are "natural" disasters.

5. Dylan went to Frank Zappa once, hoping Zappa would produce his upcoming album Infidels.Zappa was not interested and Bob Dylan himself and Mark Knopfler ended up producing it.

6. Sheik Yerbouti was a Frank Zappa album.

Putting the first names Frank & Bob together and jumbling the letters would give you the 2 common words bank & of with the letters r & b left over, which verbalized sounds like Arby and r and b are the first letters of their favorite menu item "roast beef". The guy who does their "we've got the meats" commercials is not James Earl Jones, it's the voice of an actor.