US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Thoughts anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:14 pm 

While at an RMAF some years back I spoke with a designer / manufacturer of high end equipment who is very well known and really makes some high end equipment if price tags are an indication. While speaking with this person, they commented that audiophiles should buy their equipment by the pound. He asked me if I understood what he meant and meekly I replied "Power supplies?" He smiled at me and told me that I passed (I was hoping for a selection of his products from a grab bag or something but that did not happen). Since that time I have paid attention to his comment and I think of that when I look at amps and even preamps. So, I have to ask, and I do not mean this to slam any product but more to educate myself but here goes:
I have been looking at the Vidar amp from Schiit (which actually should be pronounced with a long "I" sound if phonetics are to be adhered to and not what they want you to think) and the amp weighs in at 22 pounds or so, eight pounds less than my preamp, and 70 pounds less than one of my monoblock amps. This is rather contrary to what I was told by the person at the RMAF. So, anyone out there who has one (the Vidar, not an RMAF) is it for real? Can it keep pace with the larger and heavier amps or is it what I think it is and that is a nice piece of gear built to a price point, a decent performer but nothing out of the ordinary or is it a giant killer and what I was once told now flawed?

Again, I am not starting this post to incite a riot but rather to get some comments on the Vidar, the idea of the "buy by the pound" and from all of you who more than likely have a lot more experience with audio. I have not owned many amps in the 24 years I have been in the land of audiophilia as I was lucky to acquire a pair of devine monoblock amps many years ago and early into my foray into this hobby (actually a gift from my wife, bless her heart).

Thank you...

Post subject: Re: Thoughts anyone?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:38 pm 

He is referring to the old rule that the heavier a unit is, the likelihood of better manufacturing and parts is higher, no cheap plastic crap, but real metal, no tiny over rated transformers, but beefier ones that can deliver high power when needed. Chassis's would be stronger, isolation from vibration better, they tend to stay in one piece longer..

D class amps tend to be lighter than A/B, pure class A amps tend to be very heavy.... But at the end of the day, it is what you hear that matters.... MakerAudio has been known to encase crap in a beautiful heavy case when the internals are kit gear, on the other side of the coin, they have also made very heavy majorly designed amps that really work fantastic.... so beware of a sheep in wolfs clothing or in Audio speak, beware of a really heavy exterior when the interior is crap...

And by the way Schitt is great gear.... light, heavy or in between...they are really good schitt...!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:09 pm 

Damn! Now I need those X-ray goggles I got from the back of the comic books from the early 60's! I could look into the casing and see just what is in there! Have you a Vidar? I am tempted to try one with my Dynaudios. At my advancing old age I could use something lighter to schlep around...

I guess Schiit Audio give new meaning to "POS", huh...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:07 am 

By the pound is an interesting concept not unique to audio gear.I'm drawn to audio gear that is heavier,not for the valid reasoning pointed out by another member,I simply associate gravitas with quality.Take wine for instance,most wine lovers associate a heavier bottle with a better quality wine which is precisely what the vintner wants you to believe.Another example,watches,Rolex in particular.
Of course these are not absolutes,I own a TRUTH pre amp,probably one of the most accomplished pre amps I have owned and it is virtually weightless.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:47 pm 

TuTone has pointed out many good things and a lot of what he stated is what the manufacturer was saying as well. The manufacturer in question has a lot of products in which a crane would be more useful to have, or a few large friends, when it came time to move it. Of course, perspective being what it is, the manufacturer did not skimp on parts and to him, weight equals quality. I do not apply this to Class D for the most part but I do when I am looking at amps that operate in the Class A or A/B range. Also I have read many audio articles where the pundits will state that "such and such preamp was built like an amp" and then later state the weight was due to quality power supplies. Hence, my question about newer amps that are A/B class amps but are rather light and since I cannot test or own them all (that would be interesting since I would have no place to use them as I would be living in a cardboard box) I was wondering what others have experienced.
Interesting about the wine, but no surprise on the watches. Can the vintner "cheat" and use a heavier bottle? Sorry to be stupid but I am not a wine drinker so I not familiar with bottling of wines, etc. (and shame on me as I live in Washington state where there is a lot of wine made)...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:08 pm 

Suffice to say few mfrs are using aluminum chassis :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:23 pm 

that's a great gear