US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Private Messages
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:29 am 

I received a PM, but cannot find a way to respond to the message. When I try to create a reply, or what I think is a reply, the system tells me I have to post multiple times to be able to respond to posts. Seriously? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a forum?

Post subject: Re: Private Messages
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:08 pm 

djtunes wrote:
I received a PM, but cannot find a way to respond to the message. When I try to create a reply, or what I think is a reply, the system tells me I have to post multiple times to be able to respond to posts. Seriously? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a forum?

That's not uncommon. Almost every forum I am a member of, has certain initial rules to participate. Most require a certain number of posts to validate your membership. It's there to protect all of us from scammers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:35 pm 

I got your message and sent a reply back.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:00 pm 

Once you have made 3 posts to the USAM Forums, the Private Message system is yours to use.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:53 pm 

Interesting sense im new to the forum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:51 am 

I'm a new user in the last month.

I've sent three PMs, over the course of three weeks, to a seller regarding some cables with my contact info, including my phone number, and have not heard back from him.

Is it possible I am so new that the system is not forwarding my messages? Or am I being ignored? Can an admin confirm my messages are going through?

I doubt it is because I am new to USAM. I've made serveral inquiries on CAM and always received a response. I even made a purchase there last week.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:44 pm 

@Mike O, first off, you have to avoid mixing up the PM system with the ad reply system.

Mike O wrote:
I'm a new user in the last month.

I've sent three PMs, over the course of three weeks, to a seller regarding some cables with my contact info, including my phone number, and have not heard back from him.

Is it possible I am so new that the system is not forwarding my messages? Or am I being ignored? Can an admin confirm my messages are going through?

I doubt it is because I am new to USAM. I've made serveral inquiries on CAM and always received a response. I even made a purchase there last week.

The Private Message (PM) system is internal to CAM. It's meant for Forum users. It's a mail system which will allow you to compose, send, receive and and classify internal mail. This is a private system and you don't have to buy or sell anything with it. In fact you can't use the public Forums for selling at all. However you can correspond about whatever you like by PM -- but only with other Forum users.

You can set up your PM account to notify you by email when you receive a Private Message. One feature of the PM system is that it won't open to you until you have three ( 3 ) posts in the Forums. This helps to deal with spammers and bots. There are a couple of Forum topics which are ideal for upping your post count, such as "Word Association" and "What are you listening to?"

The ad reply system is a different thing. It's linked to your email address. If you post an ad, this system can send you an email when someone relies to the ad. If you reply to an ad, the seller will get an email message from CAM, and can reply to you that way. You can set up your advertiser account to email you with each reply, or send a summary of replies daily.

If you have an ad posted, you'll see a record of replies at the bottom of the ad, when you're logged in.

My experience in the Classified Ads here suggests that there is a certain number of dormant ads. The ad posters have forgotten or lost them, and don't reply to any enquiries. The ad you replied to may be one of these.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:46 pm 

Toby wrote:
@Mike O, first off, you have to avoid mixing up the PM system with the ad reply system.

Thank you for the clarification. You are correct. I had received responses on CAM to my inquiries to their ads. That is where I am getting no response to the ad I inquired about.

The odd thing is that the ad indicates a new lower price, so he has given it some attention.

It makes me wonder if he has lots of replies that are going to his spam folder and he doesn't notice.