US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:26 am 

Going against the grain is what virtually all creative scientists do to an extent. Progress in any field,usually involves overturning presumed assumptions that are stumbling blocks and hold back progress. What are some things you have tried as an audiophile that worked that were not supposed to; & also what were some combinations you have tried that had a magical synergy between them; be it components or accestories? Here are some of mine.

Combining Last Record Preservative and Gruv Glide spray. I used to do this all the time, even though Rozoil, the company that marketed Gruv Glide (still on the market), did not recommend it. I would apply the Last Record Preservative first, then spray on some Gruv Glide and it made my records sound purer and cleaner by so much that I couldn't stop doing it. There was a penalty in increased surface noise, or it could have been that the records sounded brighter at frequencies that accentuated surface noise. It added so much life and purity to the sound and my record vacuum cleaning machine could undo it in case I changed my mind on a particular title.

Springs on springs is supposed to be not good. Like putting a springy suspension belt drive turntable on a spring suspension isolation base. What awful advice, at least in my instance. My turntables limited bass and overall sound transformed itself doing this; putting springs on springs.

The D'appolito array. If you stack small speakers, and make sure to put the upper speaker upside down so both speakers tweeters are closer together; try it the right side up way too. You might greatly prefer the sound like that. Maybe the small size of my speakers were a factor, but I think this "accepted" theory needs a real serious re-think & re-try. Scary how some people just follow the lead of others, without trying things themselves. The D'appolito array was a real stumbling block to progress for me.

Using other bigger or heavier speakers as speaker stands. Some make a big deal out of even having another pair of speakers in the room. I use a well made fairly heavy & tall pair of speakers as my speaker stands for a smaller pair on top. They make a great speaker stand. I hear no ill effects and can choose between whether I want to play the big ones or the small ones on any particular piece of music.

Tone controls. I hear no difference on many amplifiers which have tone defeat; whether its on or off. I do hear a major difference in overall life of the music, being able to just inch the treble up a notch on many recordings, or down a notch on others makes the sound sweet instead of harsh and brittle on many recordings. I believe a treble control in particular, is of great value in maximizing your listening enjoyment. If you are really seeking a little more transparency that bad, there are other better ways to get it than depriving yourself of a proper tonal balance, which is different on each record or cd.

SOME GREAT COMBOS: Old Vandersteen model 2 speakers and tubes, moving coil cartridges and tubes, tape and electrostatics, tube preamps and solid state power amps, tape decks with output controls into power amps, silver interconnects and copper speaker cables.

What are some things that you out there have tried that really improved your sound ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:44 pm 

If you Don't have a lot of money to spend on audio, or would rather spend on music or other things, here is one thing to consider. Instead of spending several thousand dollars on new equipment like speakers or a power amp, why not do some homework on some vintage amps and speakers that have really surprisingly good sound for the money, and either on ebay or here or locally in stores, shop around for equipment like that. Make Offers.Experiment. Instead of buying just one set of speakers, buy 3 or 4 different pairs of bookshelf speakers and a subwoofers if you think they need one. Buy 3 or 4 totally different amplifiers. Buy a few different sets of interconnects or cables (that sound very different). You now have an array of stuff that it would almost take a mathematician to figure out all the different combinations and different sounds that are possible. Remember every speaker sounds different and every amplifier and cable sounds a little different.

This will not cost you a fortune if you shop smart. I have picked up good speakers with really good performance on ebay and in second hand stores for around $35 a pair. There are lots of very good equipment possibilities that people are just not punching in on their computers as a lot of it just does not come to their minds that often because it is older and for the most part forgotten. Our hobby is to a large extent a flavor of the month club. Why not take advantage of that aspect of it and make it work of you ?

There is something to be said for having 7 or 8 pairs of speakers and that many amps and interconnects; even several different source components. There are so many different combinations, all with a different sound. I know my components, cables and speakers well. If I want to really hear something with the most expansive soundstage, I can try hooking up my most open sounding speakers to my most open sounding amp and cables. Or you can use component choices to combat the weaknesses of other components. If your vintage tube amp is a little slow and lacks purity. Hook it up to your purest sounding and fastest sounding amp, cables and source. You might find it is not lacking in those ways anymore. Remember audio is additive. If you want to hear how vivid and deep you can get with tone colors choose whatever of your components are best at that, and try them together. You will at least experience the maximum of that particular quality. If the sound does not jibe in other ways then substitute something else. You can have a universe of different sounds with an array of equipment; and what a learning experience. Some would say just save the money until you can afford that $5,000 speaker or amp. That's valid too, but I think my way is the more fun and educational way to do it. Until you can afford equipment that expensive you will at least come upon combinations that really excel in certain ways and let you at least experience audio nirvana in certain performance areas until you can afford the kind of equipment that does it all.