US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:40 am 

His post on some of the other forums claims that he is looking for audio hobbyist writers to do articles for a start up called Audio Advocate. He says he is starting a blog on audiophile and music subject matter, in hopes of getting advertising at the top, bottom and sides of his web pages. He wasted about 10 hours of my time, having me write an all time best Nutcracker CD selection choice article. I stayed up till almost 5 o'clock in the A.M. to write it. After he has your work in hand, instead of paying you (a measly amount, he offered me $20 !!), he pretends to have lost your article; and tries to get you to re-type everything over & over again ..who knows how many times, maybe ad infinitum !! Knowing you will eventually after maybe a hundred hours of work; you'll just give up, or maybe need a strait jacket and the men in the white coats, if you let it go that far. He has paid me Nothing..Zilch for my completed work., and evades my simple question of how can you lose emails on your phone? Of course in all likelihood, he didn't lose anything. If the whole thing is not a scam about the blog, he might intend to pilfer all the writers hard work and use their articles for free without paying them for all the work and time they put in, based on my early experience. He has stopped corresponding due to my question. I put a Copyright Notice on the first page of the article, which annoyed him.At the bottom of his messages, you can tell he is not even working from a computer, but from an iPhone, because it says so at the bottom of the message page. It's pretty hard to lose messages or finished articles on an iphone. They are there forever in fact. He tries to play big editor, and his messages and writing often do not even make sense and contradict themselves. If anyone on here has had any experiences with Howard, who is not one of his cronies, I wish you would post and let me know. His first name is Howard and his last name begins Mil.....I will give his full name at a later date when I see where this goes. Beware of this person and if anyone ever sees my 2,000 some word article on best Nutcracker performances on CD/LP please let me know. Playing someone for a fool is awful and plagiarism, (using someone's work without paying them), stealing really, is punishable by fines up to $50,000 and a year in jail. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:00 pm 

Sounds like Howard is the best Nutcracker.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:09 pm 

He's one of those that does not work from a certain hour on Friday until Sunday. He would probably do the same thing to you, Viridian 2, if given a chance. There is now another guy who is complaining about him on the same sight. Maybe you should become friends. Your personalities are very simialar, and yes anyone who would do something so despicable after someone was trying to help on the cheap, is obviously at least morally unstable for sure. When I threatened to bring someone of authority into the picture; it looks like he blocked any further emails. Another Audiogon winner for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:22 pm 

I have no doubt that he would do the same to me based on your story. Though I am not sure that you know anything about my personality. But you seem to have developed an opinion. And yes it does seem that, as you say, he is morally unstable. And I hope that you do see some compensation for your efforts; you have clearly put a lot of your soul into creating a review to be proud of. You might consider posting it here. And with that I have had my say and will not post into any of your threads again. Best wishes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:56 pm 

That's very gentleman of you. As far as the compensation, it's just a minimal amount and its more the principle of the thing. The Neilsens sent me about that much in the mail for answering a 3 minute TV survey. I just couldn't imagine someone telling someone to chop wood for them all afternoon and evening, and instead of giving them a little something as agreed upon, instead peeling away in the truck and leaving them behind with nothing but a bad emotion.

I was probably a great one to write the article anyway. I have over 60 Nutcracker performances, most on record and CD. I went into the performances and sound quality of nearly each one I mentioned. I'm the kind of collector that if I like a piece of music, I really try to find the best performance, or if rock or jazz; the best version for sound. The Nutcracker is a piece of music that is hard to hear a live performance of, especially in its entirety. Not that many live ballet productions of it where there is a real orchestra accompanying it. It's nearly always a CD playing through the sound system instead. I guess all that spinning and twirling requires precise "in sync" timing. The Nutcracker score, even though it was composed in Europe, it was written by Tchaikovsky shortly after his trip to America, and some of the instruments in certain parts, like the Sugar Plum Fairy, were brought over and new to Europe. The music's birth and emergence also coincided with new Christmas customs in America like the indoor Christmas Tree, which previously was a Germanic custom. With increased ability to travel comfortably, the old world and new world were picking up a lot of each others traditions. At the turn of the century in 1900, only about one American family in 5 or 6 had a Christmas Tree. Ten short years later in 1910 most homes had one. Its getting around that time of year again soon. Some look forward to it more than others.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:55 pm 

Re: The person Howard.....wanting writers. In all fairness, since all the email correspondences over more than a few days were from his iPhone, there is a distinct possibility that he is attempting to start an internet website without a computer (all on his cell phone), and his inability to crop etc.could have added to the difficulties, but honesty is the best policy, as is honest communication and leveling with people.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:44 pm 

I think I've seen his posts regarding looking for writers and the website/e-zine.

Sorry to hear about your experience.