US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:36 pm 

I have become a fan of class A amps which run in class A up to a certain wattage and don't get that warm. What other amps, both vintage and current do this, that most people do not know about. I Don't mean class A for a half watt before switching to AB. I mean more serious than that. Like class A for at least around 8 Watts or so ? Give a mini review of at least a paragraph of anything you are real familiar with and how long does it stay in class A before switching to AB ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:27 pm 

Upside wrote:
I have become a fan of class A amps which run in class A up to a certain wattage and don't get that warm.

Please define: "don't get that warm".

Most (all?) of the Class A/B amps I know that switch from Class A to A/B at a significant percentage of their power output do get warm, some of them get very warm to actually hot.

Amps such as the hybrid Lamm amplifiers, either the Lamm M2.1 monoblocks, which have 200 wpc and switch from A to A/B at 36 wpc, and their successors, the Lamm M2.2s, which have 220 wpc and switch from A to A/B at 40 wpc, both get fairly warm. (Warm enough to raise the temperature in a room a few degrees.). Great amps BTW, at least IMHO.

Is that too warm?

Another is the Parasound Halo JC1 amp, which has 400 wpc and switch from A to A/B at25 wpc. These too get warm though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:07 am 

This stuff about amps raising the temperature in rooms is in most cases fictitious according to a scientific article I read recently. There is a physics equation which can calculate just exactly how much heat something would have to give off to make a discernible difference in a room of a given size. Basically to put it simply, for there to be noticeable change in temperature (about a degree) in a 16x18 room, would require something that gives off as much heat as 10 or 11 older style particularly hot 100 watt light bulbs. I'm not saying there isn't an amp on the planet out there that could change the tempernature noticeably, (unless you are at arms reach) but in the vast majority of cases, it might be purely psychological. I have never used tubes or transistor amps that got very hot. I Don't doubt that there could be some, but who would spend that kind of money for something that gets hot enough to degrade its own componentry over time and that is toying with its own self destruction. I'm of the school that you Don't have to have an amp with 100 pounds of steel in it or anything that thermal. My modest tweaked system has often gotten big spenders shaking their head in disgust at how much they spent on their system for so little difference. We do not have live mic feeds as a source, we have records, tapes and CD's that are only a bleak shadow of the original performance, after all the degradation to the signal that every step in the record or CD manufacturing process brings about. Ivor Tiefenbrun, who is credited with starting this whole high end thing with his Linn Sondek tt, back in the 1970's, estimated years ago that the best sound systems only acheive about 12% of the sound quality of a live performance. Someone might think or convince themselves that their system has achieved near real, until they would hear how it sounds with real musicians in their room. and then they'd feel stupid. What was the question again ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:35 am 

Ivor made his 12% estimate many years ago. It basically says you would have to double your sound quality, then double that, then double it again before you would reach the sound quality of live and unamplified music. I personally think I have heard stuff that sounds 30 to 35% of real, (its a hard estimate) on non large symphonic program. I would hesitate to give anything 50% that I've ever heard, but if you have a system that is anywhere near even 30%, you have one amazing system and experience. I think if the sound is really good, our minds sort of fill in the rest, or learn to ignore or not dwell on sounds that are not supposed to be there, if subtle enough.

I would guess that the people in the world who have the absolute best sound reproduction, are not necessarily the people with the very best equipment. Probably the audiophiles out there with the best sound reproduction is someone who is an anti vibration expert who really knows how to tweak, not only their equipment, but their room acoustics. If he has equipment at the level of Lamm, that was mentioned, (which many of us dream about owning), then all for the better. You Don't have to have sound that's 100% real (not really realistic). If you have something that gives you even a significant chunk of real live sound quality, you really have something wonderful, and hardly worth crying about. More like something to celebrate, that is capable of bringing incredible musical enjoyment and an extraordinary experience at the flip of a switch.