US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:47 pm 

This is the audio system that I am currently using.

All of my large CD collection has been ripped into Flac files.

Mini Mac computer as audio file server
M-Audio Super II dac
Luxman LX-33 30wpc tube amplifier with NOS Telefunken and RCA tubes.
Speakers ADS L1290

I’m certainly aware that this system is not what is called high end and make no such claim. But to my ears it sounds just beautiful better than any SS amplifier that I have used through the years, including a McIntoch MC-7150 power amplifier.

I grew up in NYC and have attended many live concerts at Carnegie Hall, Philharmonic Hall and Avery Fisher Hall, I can’t recall hearing any music that approaches the bright and articulate sounds of SS amplifiers in a concert hall, tube sound comes much closer to the live experience for my ears. Needless to say, I prefer the sound of tubes while listening to my favorite classical, jazz and 60’s and 70’s rock.

Does anyone have a similar system and are you satisfied with the results. I would like to know what others in the audio mid-priced range are listening to.

Just some humor! SO, what am I listening to anyway? Digital, Analog, Digilog or Anatal?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:34 am 

I've been looking for a DAC upgrade and ran across this thread.

I've been using a stock Dynaco ST-70 Tube amp for close to five years now as my main system. (Have a Hafler DH-120 SS amp when I don't want to run the tubes.) I feel as though I lucked out as it's the first tube amp I've every had, and I really enjoy it. I listen to both digital (FLAC, WAV) and analog music.

Dynaco ST-70 Tube Amp with JJEL34B and RCA 6GH8A tubes
Hafler DH-110 Preamp
Mini-ITX Arch Linux Box with JRiver
Fiio E-18 Kunlun DAC
Klipsch Chorus 1's with Crites Crossovers

And so long as you're listening and enjoying the music...who care what it's called :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:25 am 

musicnut23

You are absolutely correct! :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:51 pm 

Hey Ryan29, congratulations on finding a combination that works for you, and for not getting all caught up in the search for something better rather than simply enjoying the music! Admirable qualities, both.

I like to restore vintage tube amplifiers, so I've played around with many brands, mostly cheaply. I think you are correct in saying that tubes amps capture something quite special that is inherent in live music. Your amp is one that is quite respected for their ability to do this. Good find!

I like planar speakers, which tend to be difficult to drive with tube amplification. For the past decade, I've had a pair of Magneplanar 1.6qr speakers, and I've bi-amped them with a pair of Harmon-Karden Citation II amplifiers from the 1960's. This gives a touch of tube harmonic sweetness, but enough power to do a full orchestra credit on the Maggies. My digital front end is largely Roon, on a gigabyte Brix server, using an iPad as a controller, and playing Tidal high quality lossless through a Squeezebox Transporter at CD-quality 48khz resolution, using a First Sounds tube preamp. I'm quite pleased with the sound, listening largely to classical music.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:27 pm 

Hey dfhcko,

Very nice system, I'll bet it's sounds just great with those Maggies! Thanks for your comments and happy listening!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:07 am 

DFHCKO

My father had a set of the Tympani's when I was young. Later he had some of the other single panel ones. Always loved them, and had a pair of the smallest ones at one point.

I've always wondered if my Dynaco would be able to handle a set, but I know Maggie's take some power to sound right.