US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:18 pm 

Christmas time is here. Time for drawing near to the fireplace and putting on some Christmas music to enhance the spirit and "spirits". Whether it's listening alone, or a party; here are 8 holiday cd's that are worthy of purchasing which in addition to being great music making also have good sound.

1. ChIcago Christmas- Chicago (Rhino). 20 tracks of extraordinarily creative arrangements of Christmas favorites. This is so good that it's scary. If someone nominated this as the best Christmas album ever; I wouldn't snicker in the least. The Rhino CD re-release has really great sound and quite a few bonus tracks. The front cover has a woods scene.

2. Under The Mistletoe-Various artists. There are about a half dozen compact discs with this same title. Not the Justin Bieber CD being talked about here. This is a compilation CD of 1960's and older music that is definitely a cut above sonically, over the mastering that these classic favorites usually receive. A lot of these tracks show up on countless other compact disc compilations, but do not sound this good. Artists include Bing Crosby, Lou Rawls, Kay Starr etc. The cover has a picture of a snowman and a bird so as not to be confused.

3. Christmas-B.E. Taylor. This is a local artist but many tracks from this CD have risen to get national airplay on shows like John Tesh's Christmas show. It's soft rock mostly with creative very likable arrangements, very well done and recorded. Check out the reggae style Little Drummer Boy. Really unique and excellent.

4. Merry Christmas-Andy Williams. This is his green cover second Christmas album from the 1960's. His first album, The Andy Williams Christmas album holds some still unequaled sales records. This one is just as good. Williams had the greatest Christmas arranger going and sings like Christmas really means something great to him. An absolute classic and very well recorded.

5. Michael McDonald Christmas Album. This is really great and one of "the" best recorded holiday titles. Singing and playing with real emotion. Acoustic bliss and great background vocalists really add to the experience.

6. A Very Merry Christmas- Bobby Vinton. In addition to some old favorites as is the usual, this is different in that it contains some really good original material and arrangements. His happy infectious voice suits Christmas music perfectly. You will have a new appreciation from an artist that you probably would not have considered buying into. It's a very very good Christmas CD or LP. Try it, even if it's an artist you really don't think you would be into. A classic !

7. Best Of Mannheim Steamroller. It must have been hard compiling a best of, since all of their Christmas albums are so good from beginning to end and are worth seeking out individually. Creativity in arrangements are once again the key. Well recorded always. Their non-Christmas albums were regulars on HP's Super Disc list.

8. The Doris Day Christmas album- Really wonderful singing and arrangements and very well recorded if a little on the crisp side. Her beautiful voice matched her visual beauty and a lot of work obviously went into the lavish and creative background arrangements, everything from violins, to xylophones and harp.. It sounds like Christmas and "Snowfall".

For some novelty and fun try Ray Conniff's Christmas album; seriously. Arrangements with some musical humor like Dean Martin's Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. I'd guess Jason from Seinfeld has a copy of this album.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:38 pm 

Hey thanks for reminding me about the Doris Day LP. I found a nice clean copy at a thrift store a few months ago and I would have forgotten about it if you hadn't mentioned it. Much obliged!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:01 am 

I think you will like the Doris Day Christmas album. Her instrumental arranger is sort of unique and takes chances. It grows on you with repeated listening. My tape of it is a little bright (typical CBS), so its real important that I play it after I have played 3 other compact discs before it, so my system is fully warmed and by that time has lost its last vestiges of brightness. Johnny Maths was recorded a little too bright also & I should have mentioned his Christmas records also. Doris Day, last time I heard was still alive. Her acting and her celebrity personna overshadowed what a nice singing voice she had. Her rarest Christmas track ? Deck The Halls which is track 2 of a pretty good compilation CD called Milk, Cookies ,Christmas. A great track which she may have specially done or was culled from unused tape archives. The compilation CD features a lot of 60's singers like John Davidson, Arthur Teacher etc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:11 am 

I meant to say Arthur Godfrey not Treacher; of fish and chips fame.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:48 pm 

Arthur Treacher made some damn fine fried fish. Back in the day you could choose from H. Salt Fish & Chips, Arthur Treachers, Captain Ds' and Long John Silvers. Treachers and H. Salt were vastly superior to Capt. Ds' and LJS. So naturally Capt. Ds' and LJS survived. Gack. But I think there's still a few Treachers franchises around in a few states.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 pm 

There are some nationalities especially in Europe where its like a mandatory custom to have 20+ different fish species.served on Christmas eve. Some people even here abide by it. It must be hard to buy 23 different kinds of fish and cook it for a meal. Washing your hands with quarters is another custom, so you will prosper in the new year. Christmas in many parts of Europe, not just Russia is celebrated on Jan. 6th. The enormous crowded outdoor Christmas and food markets in places like Nuremberg Germany stay open till Jan.15th or so.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:56 am 

The Michael McDonald Christmas CD I have recommended is the Hallmark one with him on the cover with a blue coat. Great music and really palpable clarity. I see he has some other Christmas CD offerings which I plan to check out. B.E. Taylor also has a second Christmas CD called Christmas 2. He died fairly recently at a fairly young age. For a really good complete Nutcracker there are many good choices, but you cannot go wrong with either of the Andre Previn's; one with the London Symphony and one with the Royal Philharmonic. The original LP on US Angel is probably going to be full of annoying ticks and pops. The British EMI is probably going to be better if condition permits. Also available on CD or cassette used.