Premium User

Apart from the usual selections of great Christmas Albums:

Scott Weiland’s ‘The Most Wonderful Time of the Year’

Star Wars ‘Holiday Special’

Eban Schletter’s ‘Cosmic Christmas’

Twisted Sister’s ‘A Twisted Christmas’

Afroman’s ‘A Colt 45 Christmas’

and the classic Bootsy Collins’ ‘Christmas Is 4 Ever’

...what is your favourite Christmas Album?

Mine has to be Verve Records jazz compilation release 'Yule Be Miserable'...

Attachments:
Yule Be Miserable.jpg
Yule Be Miserable.jpg [ 41.79 KiB | Viewed 1751 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:42 am 

My favorite Christmas albums are "A Very Special Christmas" series. I especially like the first one. I have them all. Volume 1 is my favorite.

http://www.averyspecialchristmas.org/

Attachments:
Volume 1.jpg
Volume 1.jpg [ 116.38 KiB | Viewed 1976 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:51 am 

My all-time fave traditional album.
Attachment:
61SFdzASnxL.jpg
61SFdzASnxL.jpg [ 109.98 KiB | Viewed 1974 times ]

And the other family favorites going waaay back...
Attachment:
Hugo_Luigi.jpg
Hugo_Luigi.jpg [ 156.42 KiB | Viewed 1745 times ]
Attachment:
Ramsey+Lewis+Sound+Of+Christmas+479333.jpg
Ramsey+Lewis+Sound+Of+Christmas+479333.jpg [ 47.81 KiB | Viewed 1974 times ]
Attachment:
capitol-records-lou-rawls-merry-christmas-ho-ho-ho.jpg
capitol-records-lou-rawls-merry-christmas-ho-ho-ho.jpg [ 67.47 KiB | Viewed 1974 times ]
Attachment:
xmashymnscarols_shaw568.jpg
xmashymnscarols_shaw568.jpg [ 96.88 KiB | Viewed 1963 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:03 am 

Bing Crosby and Mario Lanza because they are classics and I was raised on them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:12 pm 

I have hundreds. Many of the best Christmas albums are obscure ones that Don't get much airplay anymore. You wouldn't believe all the artists that have put out Christmas albums. There are lots of great compilation albums too. One great track you never hear anymore is "Merry Christmas Little Friend" by Dinah Shore.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:58 pm 

Regarding the above song; that was its alternate title. "Happy Christmas My Friend" is what it usually shows up as. It was done by several artists. Merry Christmas is the more modern saying. Some of the songs that we hear on the radio are much older than Rogers and Hammerstein. One of the oldest is Ding Dong Merrily On High written about 5 centuries ago. Roger Whitaker's version is a good one. His deep voice sounds a little like James Earl Jones, but his ancestry is European.

There are obviously better mastering of some of the better known Christmas classic songs, depending on what CD you choose. Some favorite tracks can be found on hundreds of different compilation CD's. For instance Rockin'Around The Christmas tree, I just took for granted was not well recorded and the sax always sounded harsh when it came in. I listened to a 2007 compilation CD which is not officially billed as an audiophile title, but sounds like whoever put the compilation together, must have used master tapes or close to it. Especially rare for a compilation CD. For the first time the sax didn't sound distorted and her voice wasn't as gritty with grain. Same with Bing Crosby and all the other tracks by various artists. I never heard them sound so clean. There are lots of Christmas music releases, both new and old which have about audiophile level sound quality, and the music is great, and unlike most audiophile releases, you are not buying it mostly for the sound.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:02 pm 

"Happy Christmas Little Friend" is what it was originally titled and can be listened to on YouTube. The studio version is a little better than the live version. There are lots of great forgotten Christmas songs like that one. Dinah Shore used to have a weekday TV show that ran for years and years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:57 pm 

I was playing a CD the other day and it was a non- Christmas jazz CD. I thought it was over and I got up to change the disc and all of a sudden there was another track; and another track and many tracks after that of "Christmas music.". It was the same artist playing great Christmas music. I looked at the track listing on the back and there was no mention of any Christmas music anywhere; on the back of the CD case, on the CD or on the insert booklet either. What a nice bonus. I imagine there are many tens of thousands of people that Don't have to get up; who have a remote at their side, who will never discover the additional Christmas music on it. There is a long pause after the last listed track before it all begins. Even though Christmas songs played on the radio, in stores, in elevators etc.are for the most part covering the same territory; the most popular 40 or so favorite. Christmas songs; each artist has their own individual take on things and each versions sounds so unique. Unlike any other music, there is a deep nostalgia and so many pleasant and deep emotional associations connected with Christmas music that a feeling of redundancy does not come into play as it normally would with other music, so repeated. Many young people who wouldn't be caught listening to any music made before the 1990's, gladly accept listening to songs way before then; sometimes centuries before.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:23 am 

I would have to say by the best is the original Herb Alpert Christmas Album. I just purchased his recent album the Christmas Wish.

The only reason I own a phono system is to listen to original Christmas albums. Great time of year to relax and listen to beautiful music. Takes me back in time as well.